History in Structure

Bethania Independent Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6843 / 51°41'3"N

Longitude: -3.378 / 3°22'40"W

OS Eastings: 304830

OS Northings: 199290

OS Grid: ST048992

Mapcode National: GBR HN.550J

Mapcode Global: VH6D4.DXJQ

Plus Code: 9C3RMJMC+PQ

Entry Name: Bethania Independent Chapel

Listing Date: 18 February 1999

Last Amended: 18 February 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 21373

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: Bethania Welsh Independent Chapel
Bethania, Mountain Ash

ID on this website: 300021373

Location: On the corner of Phillip Street and Jeffrey Street some 150m north of the parish church of St Mary.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Mountain Ash

Community: Mountain Ash (Aberpennar)

Community: Mountain Ash

Built-Up Area: Mountain Ash

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Church building Chapel

Find accommodation in


Independent Chapel of 1859, built for a congregation first gathered about 1850 when the first coal was extracted and houses built at Mountain Ash. First chapel opened 30/1/1855, and cost £320. Rebuilt in the 1859 for £950 including Sunday school.


Independent Chapel in Victorian classical style. Painted stucco with slate roof and crested ridge tiles. Broad 2-storey 3-bay gable facade with rock-faced stone plinth. Stucco quoins, window dressings and first floor sill course. Moulded dentil cornice under pedimental gable with date plaque and plain bargeboards. First floor has arched windows, one each side of a stepped triplet, all with moulded surrounds, small panes and marginal glazing bars. Outer windows are same size as triplet centre window. Ground floor has rusticated openings with keystones. Square-headed windows with stone sills either side of a large round-arched doorway. Half-glazed grain-painted double doors with radiating-bar fanlight. Iron railings to front on dwarf stone wall. Side walls are rendered with four windows each floor, upper and lower as facade. Two similar windows are on each floor at rear.


Attractive broad interior with painted grained woodwork and ornate ceiling. Three-sided gallery with curved angles on 3x1x3 simple painted iron columns. Alternating long and short horizontal moulded panels to gallery front over painted cove. Clock faces pulpit. Brass hand rail on gallery front, curving to start of long sides. End wall has very large arched recess with pilasters and moulded head, subdivided by centre pilaster with two pointed arches above. Roundel in spandrel, cornice at impost level and painted grained panelling between pilasters. Painted inscription over main arch. Pulpit has twin stairways to sides with turned balusters and newels with finials. Short balustrade each side of projecting canted pulpit front. This is panelled with pair of arches and column shafts to front and single arches on each canted side. Deep cove to recessed base. Dentilled top rail.
Three-sided great seat with curved angles and moulded horizontal panels. Pews in three blocks with similar panels and shaped bench ends. Centre asymmetrically divided, side blocks set square to aisles with inward-facing pews flanking pulpit. Raked gallery pews with close-boarded horizontal panels. Space for orchestra instead of first two rows of gallery pews opposite pulpit. Ornate ceiling has deep cove over dentil cornice, then moulded border with floral bosses to main ceiling. This has 3 large inset rectangular panels with dentil cornices. Main centre panel has ornate plaster rose, outer panels have 2 pierced vents with circular mouldings around, and also have moulded panels in corners, quadrant curved on inner side.
Wall to lobby has extensive glazing. Two half-glazed doors with very large rectangular window between and similar large square window each side. All have acid-etched glass and marginal glazing bars.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early chapel for the area, with fine well-preserved interior.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mountain Ash Town Hall
    In a prominent position now on a traffic island, facing the railway and river bridge leading into the town centre and backing onto New Road.
  • II Aberdare Hotel
    Prominently situated to left of the Town Hall, N of the road bridge over River Cynon, immediately below A4059, New Road.
  • II Church of St Margaret
    At S end of Dyffryn Road set back from junction with New Road (A4059); Campell Terrace to rear.
  • II Mountain Ash Workman's Club and Institute
    In the town centre on the main street, on a corner site with the road leading to the railway station.
  • II* Elim Pentecostal Church
    Situated in a terrace in Knight Street, some 30 m uphill from its junction with the A4059.
  • II War Memorial
    On the E hillside of Afon Cynon on a triangular levelled terrace of grass and surrounding woodland, by a cross-roads at former entrance to Dyffryn and close to the General Hospital.
  • II Carmel Independent Chapel
    Situated on main road some 100m W of St Winifred parish church, behind low stone wall with stone piers, iron railings and double gates between posts.
  • II Penrhiwceiber Institute and Community Hall
    Situated on the main thoroughfare near the railway station, on a corner site; on sloping ground with depths increasing to rear.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.