History in Structure

Aberdare Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6843 / 51°41'3"N

Longitude: -3.3791 / 3°22'44"W

OS Eastings: 304755

OS Northings: 199294

OS Grid: ST047992

Mapcode National: GBR HN.54RK

Mapcode Global: VH6D4.CXZP

Plus Code: 9C3RMJMC+P9

Entry Name: Aberdare Hotel

Listing Date: 24 December 1991

Last Amended: 18 February 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 10899

Building Class: Commercial

Also known as: Aberdare Hotel, Mountain Ash

ID on this website: 300010899

Location: Prominently situated to left of the Town Hall, N of the road bridge over River Cynon, immediately below A4059, New Road.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Mountain Ash

Community: Mountain Ash (Aberpennar)

Community: Mountain Ash

Built-Up Area: Mountain Ash

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Hotel

Find accommodation in


Early C20 (c1910?) refronting of a Victorian building that is shown on the first edition OS map surveyed 1874 and in a photograph of 1899; the present facade is shown in a photograph of 1921. There was a revival in the use of terracotta as an architectural material in the later C19 continuing into C20. James Doulton's definition of 1886 is: ''That class of ware used in the construction of buildings which is more or less ornamental and of a higher class than ordinary bricks, demanding more care in the choice and manipulation of the clay and much harder firing and being consequently more durable and better fitted for moulded and modelled work''. Faience is a glazed terracotta. Formerly attached to neighbouring buildings. The Aberdare Canal was to rear, but already superseded by the railway when the hotel was rebuilt; New Road was created in 1930s along the canal route.


Public House with distinctive 3-bay facade of decorative white faience in a free Classical manner. Rubble walls are cement-rendered to side; slate roof with rock-faced stone stacks. Two storeys and attic and cellar. The symmetrical design of the facade is crowned by a parapet that has scrolls to ends and a central semicircular pediment with finial. Ionic pilasters to ends and centre with elaborate blind cartouches enriched with festoons and masks; implied plinth by the use of green tilework across the bottom - this is continued on the jambs of the central entrance. The attic windows are enriched by festoons; central keyblocked oculus below pediment and square-headed small-pane tipping casements with shouldered architraves to sides above cornice. First floor windows are square-headed and the outer ones are tripartite - replaced glazing. Wide segmental headed 3-light ground floor bar windows with keystones; later frosted glazing; central round-arched doorway with keystone and recessed door; above is a cartouche and to left and right the original metal ‘Aberdare Hotel’ lettering set within scrolled panels. Base rubble plinth. Lower cross range to rear.


Ground floor interior altered and refurbished.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the special interest of its highly decorative facade and as one of the earliest examples of faience-facing in Wales. Group value with the Town Hall adjacent.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mountain Ash Town Hall
    In a prominent position now on a traffic island, facing the railway and river bridge leading into the town centre and backing onto New Road.
  • II Bethania Independent Chapel
    On the corner of Phillip Street and Jeffrey Street some 150m north of the parish church of St Mary.
  • II Church of St Margaret
    At S end of Dyffryn Road set back from junction with New Road (A4059); Campell Terrace to rear.
  • II* Elim Pentecostal Church
    Situated in a terrace in Knight Street, some 30 m uphill from its junction with the A4059.
  • II Mountain Ash Workman's Club and Institute
    In the town centre on the main street, on a corner site with the road leading to the railway station.
  • II War Memorial
    On the E hillside of Afon Cynon on a triangular levelled terrace of grass and surrounding woodland, by a cross-roads at former entrance to Dyffryn and close to the General Hospital.
  • II Carmel Independent Chapel
    Situated on main road some 100m W of St Winifred parish church, behind low stone wall with stone piers, iron railings and double gates between posts.
  • II Penrhiwceiber Institute and Community Hall
    Situated on the main thoroughfare near the railway station, on a corner site; on sloping ground with depths increasing to rear.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.