History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6889 / 51°41'19"N

Longitude: -3.384 / 3°23'2"W

OS Eastings: 304423

OS Northings: 199809

OS Grid: ST044998

Mapcode National: GBR HN.4X2R

Mapcode Global: VH6D4.9TC5

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 18 February 2003

Last Amended: 18 February 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 80905

Location: On the E hillside of Afon Cynon on a triangular levelled terrace of grass and surrounding woodland, by a cross-roads at former entrance to Dyffryn and close to the General Hospital.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Mountain Ash

Community: Mountain Ash (Aberpennar)

Community: Mountain Ash

Locality: Cwmpennar

Built-Up Area: Mountain Ash

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Aberaman

History

Erected 1922 by Nixon''s Workmen's Institute. Messrs Nixon's Navigation Coal Company owned several collieries in the area including Nixon''s Navigation, Nixon''s North Pit, Deep Duffryn and Cwm Cynon. The Nixon's Workmen's Institute, which provided a wide range of facilities for the workmen and their families including a swimming pool and theatre, was sited in the town centre; demolished in 1990s. Land given by Lord Aberdare whose mansion Dyffryn was nearby, now demolished. Inscription added to commemorate the dead of the Second World War 1939-45. Figure sculpture by J Havard Thomas, inscribed and dated 1921. He was responsible for the group of white marble statues of great figures of Welsh History in the upper level reception hall of Cardiff City Hall.

Exterior

War Memorial. Unusually sited in a wooded glade and overlooking the Cynon valley and the town of Mountain Ash. It comprises a copper alloy figure sculpture on a rectangular pier of granite with battered plinth and set on 3 shallow steps. Set into each pier face is a recessed rectangular metal bas-relief of a figure, representing each of the forces - Army Navy, Airforce - and a nurse, all in mourning position with arms reversed; applied metal lettering inscription panels below. Crowning the pier is a life-size statue of a female martial figure in classical costume, holding a weapon, with the representation of a defeated enemy under her feet.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-designed and striking war memorial with identified sculptor in an unusual and prominent position.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Margaret
    At S end of Dyffryn Road set back from junction with New Road (A4059); Campell Terrace to rear.
  • II Aberdare Hotel
    Prominently situated to left of the Town Hall, N of the road bridge over River Cynon, immediately below A4059, New Road.
  • II Mountain Ash Town Hall
    In a prominent position now on a traffic island, facing the railway and river bridge leading into the town centre and backing onto New Road.
  • II Bethania Independent Chapel
    On the corner of Phillip Street and Jeffrey Street some 150m north of the parish church of St Mary.
  • II* Elim Pentecostal Church
    Situated in a terrace in Knight Street, some 30 m uphill from its junction with the A4059.
  • II Mountain Ash Workman's Club and Institute
    In the town centre on the main street, on a corner site with the road leading to the railway station.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.