History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Margaret's Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Penrice, Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5585 / 51°33'30"N

Longitude: -4.1689 / 4°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 249744

OS Northings: 186629

OS Grid: SS497866

Mapcode National: GBR GT.2LFJ

Mapcode Global: VH3N3.P3F3

Entry Name: Margaret's Cottage

Listing Date: 17 December 1992

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 11733

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Towards the western end of Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street. Narrow flowerbed strip at road edge at front, with stone border.

County: Swansea

Community: Penrice (Pen-rhys)

Community: Penrice

Locality: Oxwich

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Oxwich

History

Margaret's Cottage, which was formerly known as Rose Cottage, is said to have been built as an estate cottage belonging to Penrice Castle (which was built in 1770s). It does not appear to be shown on the Penrice estate map by J Williams dated 1783, but a building is indicated in the position on the map of 1813. Modern renovation.

Exterior

Two-storey, two-window whitewashed rubble cottage with straw-thatched roof including 'eyebrows' to the front. Four-pane casement windows above and below and low boarded door (1.7m high) to centre, with flood board. Remains of cobbled paving. Projecting slated chimney breast to left end. Corrugated-iron roofed garage extension beyond, converted from an outhouse which had a gable chimney, now truncated; later lean-to at right with steel-frame window and further door. Said to have a camber-headed half-glazed central door to rear.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a small vernacular cottage which has retained its character and makes a contribution to the conservation area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Nook and The Cottage
    Centrally in Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street.
  • II Briardene Cottage
    About 400m NNW of Oxwich Castle, on S side of main village street.
  • II Limekiln in Oxwich Wood
    To the south side of the road from Oxwich Bay to Ganderstreet.
  • II Oxwich Castle Dovecote
    To the north side of the north-east range of Oxwich Castle.
  • I Oxwich Castle
    On high ground 0.5km south of Oxwich village
  • II* Pitt Farmhouse
    At roadside, about 1km south of Penrice church. Small walled enclosure to north, separate to farmyard; gardens to south. Outbuildings in the north enclosure.
  • II Pitt Farm Buildings
    To the north of Pitt Farmhouse, in an informal grouping west of the road.
  • II* Church of St Illtyd
    1km from Oxwich village, on a site overlooking Oxwich Bay and reached by the coast footpath. Square churchyard with a stone wall; modern gate.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.