History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Nook and The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Penrice, Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5579 / 51°33'28"N

Longitude: -4.1673 / 4°10'2"W

OS Eastings: 249854

OS Northings: 186562

OS Grid: SS498865

Mapcode National: GBR GT.2LVW

Mapcode Global: VH3N3.Q39J

Entry Name: The Nook and The Cottage

Listing Date: 16 April 1973

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15859

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Centrally in Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street.

County: Swansea

Community: Penrice (Pen-rhys)

Community: Penrice

Locality: Oxwich

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Oxwich

History

Pair of C18 cottages, named The Nook and The Cottage, probably of one build.
John Wesley stayed at The Nook on five occasions during his preaching tours of south Wales between 1764 and 1771.

Exterior

Two-storey pair of cottages in rubble masonry with thatched roof including eyebrows. Whitewashed rendering. Low end-chimneys and low mid-chimney, also whitewashed, each with one pot. Small four-pane wooden casements above, larger below. Open gabled porches supported by struts.
The left cottage (The Cottage) is single-fronted, with one window centrally above and a door and window below. Modern extension at left. The right cottage (The Nook) is double fronted and symmetrical. Slate plaque commemorating Wesley's visits to right of porch. Modern extension at rear. The left cottage has a brick forecourt, the right cottage has a forecourt enclosed by a whitewashed rubble stonework wall with a steel gate.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a pair of small vernacular cottages which have retained their character and make a contribution to the conservation area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Margaret's Cottage
    Towards the western end of Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street. Narrow flowerbed strip at road edge at front, with stone border.
  • II Limekiln in Oxwich Wood
    To the south side of the road from Oxwich Bay to Ganderstreet.
  • II Briardene Cottage
    About 400m NNW of Oxwich Castle, on S side of main village street.
  • II Oxwich Castle Dovecote
    To the north side of the north-east range of Oxwich Castle.
  • I Oxwich Castle
    On high ground 0.5km south of Oxwich village
  • II* Church of St Illtyd
    1km from Oxwich village, on a site overlooking Oxwich Bay and reached by the coast footpath. Square churchyard with a stone wall; modern gate.
  • II* Pitt Farmhouse
    At roadside, about 1km south of Penrice church. Small walled enclosure to north, separate to farmyard; gardens to south. Outbuildings in the north enclosure.
  • II Pitt Farm Buildings
    To the north of Pitt Farmhouse, in an informal grouping west of the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.