History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oxwich Castle Dovecote

A Grade II Listed Building in Penrice, Swansea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5557 / 51°33'20"N

Longitude: -4.1683 / 4°10'5"W

OS Eastings: 249774

OS Northings: 186317

OS Grid: SS497863

Mapcode National: GBR GT.2SNW

Mapcode Global: VH3N3.P5Q7

Entry Name: Oxwich Castle Dovecote

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22544

Building Class: Domestic

Location: To the north side of the north-east range of Oxwich Castle.

County: Swansea

Community: Penrice (Pen-rhys)

Community: Penrice

Locality: Oxwich

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Oxwich

History

Probably C15 or C16; there is no datable detailing, but it could be contemporary with the rebuilding of Oxwich Castle by Sir Rice Mansel in the C16.

Exterior

A round dovecote of local rubble limestone. About two-thirds of the circumference of the wall survives, but it lacks its roof which was almost certainly in the form of a dome. The wall is about 0.9m thick. There is a small access doorway in the south east corner with an inside rebate for a lost door to close against; segmental arch. The lowness of the arch suggests the ground level has risen.
Small putlog(?) holes are present at intervals at three levels on the exterior.

Interior

Fair-faced stonework, whitewashed. The dovecote is about 3m diameter at base, narrowing to about 2m at the springing of the supposed dome. Eleven rows of nesting boxes iregularly disposed. The flight holes to the exterior are internally of similar size to the nesting holes and arranged in the same rows.

Reasons for Listing

A substantial fragment of a dovecote asociated with an important Tudor mansion.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (part) GM043 (SWA)

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Oxwich Castle
    On high ground 0.5km south of Oxwich village
  • II Limekiln in Oxwich Wood
    To the south side of the road from Oxwich Bay to Ganderstreet.
  • II The Nook and The Cottage
    Centrally in Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street.
  • II Margaret's Cottage
    Towards the western end of Oxwich village, on the north side of the village street. Narrow flowerbed strip at road edge at front, with stone border.
  • II Briardene Cottage
    About 400m NNW of Oxwich Castle, on S side of main village street.
  • II* Church of St Illtyd
    1km from Oxwich village, on a site overlooking Oxwich Bay and reached by the coast footpath. Square churchyard with a stone wall; modern gate.
  • II* Pitt Farmhouse
    At roadside, about 1km south of Penrice church. Small walled enclosure to north, separate to farmyard; gardens to south. Outbuildings in the north enclosure.
  • II Pitt Farm Buildings
    To the north of Pitt Farmhouse, in an informal grouping west of the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.