This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0585 / 52°3'30"N
Longitude: -4.6771 / 4°40'37"W
OS Eastings: 216562
OS Northings: 243390
OS Grid: SN165433
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.DDJY
Mapcode Global: VH2MV.WJ8B
Plus Code: 9C4Q385F+95
Entry Name: Tredefaid
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 11978
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated off minor road from A487 at Croft crossroads to Penybryn, about 1km E of A487.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Tredefaid may be early C17 or even earlier in date; extended SE and NW in the later C17 with windows and some roofs of the late C18 to C19.
C17 to C18 farmhouse, a gentry house of the Lewes family in early C18 and Bowen family in later C18 and early C19. Roughcast and rubble stone with slate roofs and C20 brick stacks. Two storeys, L-plan. Roughcast E front, to garden, has older part to right with slightly higher roof and left end stack. Outshut front with C20 window and casement pair. The later left part has projecting half-hipped porch, C20 door and window above, French window to left and 12-pane sash above. End stack to roughcast S wall.
N end small windows in outshut end and main gable slate-hung window and 12-pane window below. A chimney on the W cross-gable is removed. NW rear wing has W end stack and 12-pane W first floor window. Lean-to on N side, formerly parallel-roofed, has two N windows over four small entries for geese. S side large C20 window and door below, 12-pane sash above with concrete lintel. Rear of SE wing has door and small window below, two 12-pane sashes above with concrete lintels.
Early to mid C17 NE section has big chimney backing onto present entry passage, possibly representing a former end-entry house. Entries to right and left of chimney, that to right with evidence of former partition in lintel. Chimney SW corner is rounded. NE ground floor room has three heavy beams and scribed joists, fireplace beam has been cut through. First-floor has W fireplace with timber lintel on oak corbels, possibly C17. Two heavy cross beams, one carried on chamfered lintel into outshut, which has two big oak principal rafters. SE corner winding stone stair to attic, possibly formerly continued down to ground floor. Attic has two heavy trusses, cone with mortices for collar and curved feet, the other plain. The SE wing is probably late C17, with the cross passage and S room. There was, until 1966, a staircase of 1698 in passage, some fragments re-used as landing rail: turned balusters, moulded rail. 1698 date on landing underside. S room has heavy chamfered beams and numbered floor joists. From the landing two doorways into the two upper rooms, one with C17 style 8-panel door dated 'DBE 1780', for David and Elizabeth Bowen. Three heavy beams, one, over door partition, chamfered. Pine late C18 or early C19 roof trusses, with bolted staples to collars. NW rear wing has three heavy beams to kitchen, one in E wall cut through, and big W end fireplace.
Other nearby listed buildings