This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8406 / 51°50'26"N
Longitude: -5.0104 / 5°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 192712
OS Northings: 220066
OS Grid: SM927200
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.V7VH
Mapcode Global: VH1R6.3ZJV
Entry Name: Church of St Ishmael
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 11988
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in churchyard in centre of Camrose village.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church with late medieval W tower and nave and chancel possibly C15 also, much restored in 1878 and 1884 by J P Seddon who renewed all the roofs. The church was seriously damaged by fire in 2000, and at time of listing was inaccessible. Plans by Seddon for the restoration are in the possession of the church, mostly for executed work but also for a porch and a chancel screen, not done.
Parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and chancel possibly C14 with C15 with W tower and big canted three-sided NE stair tower. Tower has corbelled battlements and narrow louvred slots for bell openings, stair tower has similar battlements and weathercock. Two stone rainwater spouts on tower W front. Unusually long nave and chancel. Nave restored by Seddon with paired cusped lancet windows, at time of writing mostly boarded over, three windows to each side with door between first and second. Coped W gable. Chancel is windowless to N, E window boarded over and S has boarded window to left and blocked window centre.
Vaulted base to tower. The fire in 2000 damaged the nave roof of 1884, which had pitch-pine arch-braced trusses, the braces in two tiers, and with king-posts. but this is to be restored. C12 font, square with scalloped underside and round shaft. Said to have a piscina with ogee head possibly C14 in the chancel, short stone benches and traces of a rood stair cut out of the wall, blocking a lancet. Two blocked ogee lancets in the S wall. Chancel roof of 1878 of scissor-rafters. Fittings: pulpit and pews by Seddon. Stained glass: nave NE window c1927 by Kempe & Co, SS Aedda and Alban. Memorials: Emma Webb Bowen (d 1852) by T Jones; William Fortune (d 1881); Charles Webb Bowen (d 1881), by T Morgan & Son.
Medieval parish church with battlemented W tower, the fabric much restored by the distinguished C19 architect, J P Seddon.
Other nearby listed buildings