This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8381 / 51°50'17"N
Longitude: -5.0105 / 5°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 192697
OS Northings: 219787
OS Grid: SM926197
Mapcode National: GBR CJ.V7WD
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.32J7
Entry Name: Camrose House
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 30 April 2001
Source ID: 11989
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the S side of the village, the drive to Camrose House and Home Farm off a minor road just S of the bridge over Camrose Brook.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Gentry house also known as Camrhos, mid C18 and shown on the Camrose Tithe map of 1839. Owned by the Bowen, later Webb Bowen family which had been in the parish at Roblinston and Wolfsdale since the C14. The house may have been built for Hugh Webb Bowen (d 1833) whom Fenton visited in 1811. He called the house a 'neat mansion'. ..prettily embosomed in a wood' .. and admired the tumulus in front which he thought the largest in the country after Silbury Hill. In use as a country club in later C20, now private house.
Gentry house, rubble stone with hipped slate eaves roofs with altered flat eaves and two big red brick side-wall stacks each side. Roughly square plan with formal three-storey and basement five-window facade of cambered-headed sashes with thick glazing bars to 12-pane sashes with brick heads and stone keystones. Stone sills. Centre 6-panel door with 3-pane overlight and cambered head under flat hood on long console brackets. Door is reached up fine flight of 6 stone steps to slate-paved landing overarching basement area. C19 timber rails. Basement has 5 cambered headed openings. Area has iron railings with spearhead and fleur-de-lys finials.
Left side wall has basement door with 4-pane overlight and 12-pane sash with thick glazing bars. Windowless right side wall with attached hipped matching range to right. This has basement and two storeys, the narrow front with 2 close-spaced upper windows over one central ground floor window and one to basement. The side wall has 2 windows each floor and one to basement. Rear is slate hung with one 5-panel fielded-panelled door. Rear of the main house is also slate hung with a large derelict C19 conservatory to ground floor left, hipped with hipped lantern. Four-window range with two long C19 stair lights, one over the other, with marginal glazing in second bay, the others with 12-paned sashes, the top left sash altered to fire door and ground floor left has broad opening into conservatory with steel lintel. Conservatory has tiled floor.
Altered interior, ground floor right room and entrance hall combined. with early C20 opening cut through rear to rear right room, with flat beam and fluted pilasters. Front right has early C20 fireplace and overmantel. Front left room has panelled shutters, possibly early C19. Plain cambered arch to rear stair hall. Rear stair is well-detailed mid C18 with three balusters of column-on-vase type to each tread, moulded rail and column newels. Scrolled tread ends. Dog-leg stair in 6 flights.
Fielded panelled 6-panel door to each side stair hall.
Graded at II* as a substantial mid C18 gentry house, of a type rare in the county, with fine surviving staircase and fine Victorian conservatory.
Other nearby listed buildings