This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.821 / 51°49'15"N
Longitude: -5.0967 / 5°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 186677
OS Northings: 218128
OS Grid: SM866181
Mapcode National: GBR CD.WJGQ
Mapcode Global: VH1RB.LHYD
Entry Name: Nolton Rectory
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 12000
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite Nolton church in Nolton village.
Community: Nolton and Roch (Nolton a'r Garn)
Community: Nolton and Roch
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Probably C16 vaulted ground floor of the medieval rectory, refaced and raised in the early C19, such that the external appearance is of a 2-bay Georgian house, and with a cross-wing added to right in 1886 by T.P. Reynolds of Haverfordwest. The 1886 plans show that the original house had a hipped roof, now replaced by gable ends, and a single storey drawing room addition, demolished for the new work. The early C19 work may have been done after the death of the Rev. Moses Grant, rector 1767-1810. One of the oldest continuously used rectories in Wales.
Early C19 facade to left is whitewashed roughcast with C20 concrete tiles to roof and late C19 brick left end stack. Bracketted eaves. Two-storey, two-window range of hornless sashes, two 9-pane first floor windows, one 12-pane to ground floor left. Half-glazed door with overlight, in panelled doorcase with moulded architrave and shelf hood on console brackets with reeded frieze and dentilled cornice. Lean-to on left end wall and two-storey SE rear wing with ridge stack and one E side hornless 12-pane sash. On W side is added range of 1884 with slightly projected rubble stone gable, overhanging eaves and yellow-brick framed window each floor. Casement pairs with top-lights. 2 narrow windows each floor on W side wall.
The ground floor rooms of the front range (except the later W addition) and of the SE rear wing are three late medieval tunnel vaults, plastered over in the early C19. One vault over present front hall, one over dining room to E, and one over rear kitchen. Front vaults have reeded borders to plaster, dining-room has curved S end wall. Probable site of a stair is at NW corner of kitchen where vault is cut away. Recess on W wall.
Dog-leg early C19 stair in angle behind, parallel to front range, with 3-sided stair-hall ceiling. Column newels and stick balusters. Three first floor 2-panel doors, one 6-panel.
Graded II* for the surviving medieval vaulted interiors which are exceptionally rare in a Welsh domestic context, (compare Church Hill Cottage at Manorbier).
Other nearby listed buildings