This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.801 / 51°48'3"N
Longitude: -4.9686 / 4°58'7"W
OS Eastings: 195410
OS Northings: 215539
OS Grid: SM954155
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL7F
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZMR
Entry Name: Emlyn House
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12126
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in terraced row Nos 27-33 Hill Lane.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Terraced house, probably early C19, possibly late C18. The deeds refer to a sale in 1823, and may relate to a building or rebuilding date as at that point three properties, probably Nos 27-31 were sold to Richard Evans, shoemaker, and the deeds of No 29 refer to the same sale. Subsequent deeds 1856, 1861, 1895 sale by William Morris, draper, to Lewis Roberts. Occupied in 1901 by John Rees and in 1926 by D.J. Lloyd. Said, without evidence, to have been a town house of the Earls Cawdor of Stackpole, whose junior title was Viscount Emlyn. It was used as a hotel in the mid to later C20, with large rear addition, recently restored as single house 2005. The doorcase matches that on No 33 adjoining.
Terraced house, painted lined stucco with slate close-eaved roof. Three storeys and basement, two-window range of 12-pane hornless sashes to upper floors and tripartite 4-12-4-pane sash to ground floor left. Renewed slate sills. Doorcase with attached Ionic columns, entablature blocks with pulvinated frieze, and open pediment with small modillions. Arched doorway with renewed reveals, radiating-bar fanlight and renewed 6-panel door.
Basement vent to left. Rear has 12-pane sash to second floor over two-storey lean-to with moulded surround to first floor window. Attached to rear right is large C20 rear addition.
Entrance hall with staircase in line: continuous rail, scrolled at foot, square balusters, scrolled tread ends. Four flights. Ground floor front room has moulded cornice, Victorian fireplace and moulded elliptical-arched sideboard recess.
Included as a house with late Georgian origins and some good internal detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings