This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8008 / 51°48'2"N
Longitude: -4.9686 / 4°58'6"W
OS Eastings: 195413
OS Northings: 215522
OS Grid: SM954155
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XL7G
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.TZNW
Entry Name: The Old St. Mary's Vicarage
Listing Date: 1 July 1974
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 12124
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at upper end of Hill Lane by steps to Hermon's Hill.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early C19 end terrrace house remodelled and possibly extended in late C19. It was known as Hermon's Villa, owned in the 1880s by Mrs Florence Stokes, occupied in 1901 by James Rees JP and bought as the vicarage for St Mary's Church in 1902-3 for £800. The conveyance of 1903 was from Mrs Mathias of Lamphey Court and refers James Price and Florence Stokes as previous owners, James Rees as late occupant, and to a covenant of 1877 between Florence Stokes and William Owen of Hermon's Hill. The deeds of No 29 next door refer to a piece of ground on which were three houses, possibly Nos 27-31, sold in 1823 to Richard Evans, shoemaker, and all three sold in 1879 to William Davies George. The interior is said to have been reconstructed after a fire, probably in 1903-4, possibly in 1892. In 1974 there was a date of 1892 on a name plaque to right of door. The roofline is continuous with No 29.
End terrace house, painted stucco with renewed slate roof and flat eaves. Painted brick end stacks. Two-storey, three-bay front with late C19 or early C20 detail, the bays spaced tow to left and one to right, possibly suggesting a narrow house extended. Four-pane sashes to both floors to right and to window over door and large two-storey canted bay-window to left. Bay window has turned column angles, moulded cornices and flat top just under eaves level. Doorway is square-headed in recessed plain square-headed surround and has three slate steps up. Modern 6-panel door with modern radiating-bar fanlight in overlight. There were fixings for a timber doorcase, but no photographs (a new doorcase designed by W. Spees, architect, is to be added in 2005). Rear has been altered, clad in cedar shingles, mid C20.
Late C19 or early C20 entrance hall open to upper floor with fine open well staircase. Mahogany stair rail, cast-iron balusters, and turned hardwood newels with finials. Scrolled tread ends. Geometric tiles to hall floor. Ground floor NE room has an earlier C19 undercut cornice and ceiling border of rosettes in a scroll. Marble N fireplace.
Included for its special interest as house with late Georgian origins and retaining good staircase of c1900.
Other nearby listed buildings