This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8703 / 51°52'13"N
Longitude: -5.2824 / 5°16'56"W
OS Eastings: 174130
OS Northings: 224176
OS Grid: SM741241
Mapcode National: GBR C5.S6DY
Mapcode Global: VH0TL.D881
Plus Code: 9C3PVPC9+42
Entry Name: One of a Pair of Limelkilns on Eastern Quay
Listing Date: 28 July 1992
Last Amended: 28 July 1992
Source ID: 12685
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Built into bank on quay some 80m from road bridge, on eastern side.
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close (Tŷddewi a Chlos y Gadeirlan)
Community: St. David's and the Cathedral Close
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Date of construction uncertain, but an import of lime for burning is recorded as early as 1743. The four kilns at Porthclais were owned by C Allen 1870, but were disused by 1906.
Probably early C19. Pair of limekilns, one circular and complete, the other square and part demolished; restored ca1975. Two linked kilns each some 3m high, with rubble faced ramp up from N, the northern kiln circular with parapet, Dewisland-type tapering kiln-eyes; the southern kiln with kiln-eye surviving on N side and crucible exposed by collapse of front and S side. Rubble walling between kilns with steep steps up.
Marked on 1840 Tithe Map.
Other nearby listed buildings