This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7823 / 51°46'56"N
Longitude: -5.1018 / 5°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 186140
OS Northings: 213841
OS Grid: SM861138
Mapcode National: GBR CD.YWQQ
Mapcode Global: VH1RJ.JG7K
Plus Code: 9C3PQVJX+W7
Entry Name: Broad Haven House
Listing Date: 25 November 1988
Last Amended: 26 November 1997
Source ID: 13050
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in Broad Haven village facing the beach, at the N end and on the E side of the sea front road, the B4341.
Community: The Havens (Yr Hafanau)
Community: The Havens
Locality: Broad Haven
Built-Up Area: Broad Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mid C19 pair of substantial houses, probably built around 1860 for the Goldwyer family of Bristol, owners of the Walton West estate. Building plots were advertised for sale in 1857, to plans by W.H. Lindsey of Haverfordwest, but when the estate was sold in 1865 Hans Price of Weston-super-Mare was the architect named for plans for building plots. In 1897 Broad Haven House was advertised for sale described as suitable for conversion to a high-class hotel, with two entrance halls, dining-rooms, drawing-rooms, smoking-rooms, two large kitchens etc, cellars, stabling for 6 horses.
Pair of large sea-front houses. Painted stucco with concealed hipped slate roofs and cut stone stacks. Basement and 2 storeys, square plan with side entries. 4-window front. Vermiculated plinth, four broad pilasters, moulded cornice and blocking course. Hipped front roof with large cut sandstone central stack, parallel rear roofs with small end stacks. Front has 4 plate glass sashes to first floor in stucco surrounds with segmental curved heads. Ground floor has two broad tripartite plate glass sashes and two outer plain plate glass sashes, all in moulded architraves with cornices on console brackets.
Side walls have three-window range, one-window to seaward end, two-window with door to landward. 3 similar first floor sashes, 2 ground floor similar sashes in corniced architraves, and door with overlight in ornately moulded architrave with cornice on consoles.
2 rear wings, slightly lower with similar cornice and end stone stacks. One-window range with plain surrounds.
House is set on a rubble stone terrace with pointed stone-voussoir openings and renewed steps up.
An unusual pair of substantial seaside villas in the Italianate style, illustrating the aspirations of the founders of the resort.
Other nearby listed buildings