History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in The Havens (Yr Hafanau), Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7737 / 51°46'25"N

Longitude: -5.1061 / 5°6'21"W

OS Eastings: 185805

OS Northings: 212896

OS Grid: SM858128

Mapcode National: GBR CD.ZG4R

Mapcode Global: VH1RJ.FPZ5

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 26 November 1997

Last Amended: 26 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19099

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in Grove Place, some 120m SE of the beach in Little Haven.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: The Havens (Yr Hafanau)

Community: The Havens

Locality: Little Haven

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Walton West

History

Early C19 house shown on the Walton West Tithe Map of 1841 as an inn, owned by Judith Phillips and occupied by William Crum. Little Haven was called a 'celebrated bathing place' in a sale advertisement of 1814 for a newly built substantial house of 2 bedrooms and 3 parlours, built for the late Rowland Laugharne of Orlandon, St Brides.

Exterior

Large village house with service wings. Rubble stone with concrete tiles and slates to roofs and end-wall stacks. Large three-storey, three-window main house with concrete tiles and stone end stacks, flanked asymmetrically by 2-storey wings with slate roofs. Outbuilding running W from front of S wing.

Main house has hornless sash windows with stone voussoirs and slate sills. 6-pane attic windows, 12-pane elsewhere and centre 6-panel door. Left wing, possibly orignally a lofted carthouse has C20 rendered left end stack, two large C20 12-pane first floor windows and ground floor centre cambered-headed cart-entry and small 6-pane window to right. C20 glazing to cart-entry and to window.

Right wing is shorter, with rendered right end stack. One central 6-pane sash, ground floor left 12-pane hornless sash, and outbuilding to right.

Outbuilding has W gable end garage doors, inserted or altered in C20 and one N side 6-pane window.

Reasons for Listing

A late Georgian house of unusual scale for the coastal villages of the region.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Haven Fort Hotel
    Situated on Settlands Hill, to the E of the road between Broad Haven and Little Haven.
  • II Walton West Farmhouse
    Situated some 60m NE of the cross roads in Walton West, on the NW side of the road running to Broadway.
  • II Church of All Saints
    Situated some 300m E of the cross roads in Walton West, on the N side of the road running E from Little Haven.
  • II Broad Haven House
    Situated in Broad Haven village facing the beach, at the N end and on the E side of the sea front road, the B4341.
  • II Rosepool
    On the S side of Dale Road some 1.1km W of the Church of Saint James the Great at Walwyn's Castle.
  • II Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
    Situated in a remote and imposing location, some 1.5k SW of the centre of Little Haven and some 100m S of the cliffs W of Musselwick.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.