This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7756 / 51°46'32"N
Longitude: -5.1054 / 5°6'19"W
OS Eastings: 185860
OS Northings: 213113
OS Grid: SM858131
Mapcode National: GBR CD.Z89J
Mapcode Global: VH1RJ.GM9N
Plus Code: 9C3PQVGV+6R
Entry Name: Haven Fort Hotel
Listing Date: 26 November 1997
Last Amended: 26 November 1997
Source ID: 19098
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on Settlands Hill, to the E of the road between Broad Haven and Little Haven.
Community: The Havens (Yr Hafanau)
Community: The Havens
Locality: Little Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Prominent clifftop house in Gothic style, said to have been built about 1870 for a chairman of the Great Western Railway but the first records found, the 1871 Census shows the owner as Mrs Rebecca Goldwyer, of the Bristol family who owned the Broad Haven estate. It was then known as The Havens and it is marked on the 1875 O.S. map. The house seems to have been designed to have a picturesque fortress look when seen from the N.
Large marine villa. Rock-faced rubble stone in large squared blocks, and slate roofs. Chimneys removed. L-plan, 2 storeys and attic. W gable end, to sea, has heavy stepped corbelling to verges and raised cornerstones. Attic pointed window with Y-tracery to toplight to 2-light casement. 2 larger first floor pointed windows with Y-tracery toplights to casement pairs. Broad centre pointed ground floor window with triple casements and intersecting tracery to toplight. N front has 3-window range. Left side has cambered-headed triple casement with toplights each floor, ground floor window larger. Centre has large stone porch, flat roofed with parapets and coped taller angle piers. Two small pointed lancets to front, with lattice glazing, one similar to W and E side door. Above is pointed window with Y-tracery to casement-pair, and first floor right has similar window over two similar to ground floor right.
S side has single-storey dining-room C20 building in angle to SE rear wing. Rear wing has W side first floor two cambered-headed triple casements with top-lights.
S gable is altered with C20 render. Cambered-headed windows, one to attic, two to first floor and one to ground floor. E side has flat roofed additions disguised by coped walls N and S.
A long corridor range runs NE with 4 similar pointed windows in the N wall, to link with a monopitch-roofed annexe. Annexe has N coped parapet and centre stone stack. N wall has iron-lattice lancets as on porch. Two to first floor left, three to ground floor left, one to ground floor right. Side walls have stepped coping, roof is of grouted slates and S front has window door window to left and altered pair of windows to right. Link range behind N wall is entirely rebuilt in C20.
A substantialand largely unaltered Victorian marine villa in the gothic style and prominently placed on the clifftop.
Other nearby listed buildings