This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7734 / 51°46'24"N
Longitude: -5.0958 / 5°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 186511
OS Northings: 212837
OS Grid: SM865128
Mapcode National: GBR CD.ZJP9
Mapcode Global: VH1RJ.MPDC
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 November 1997
Last Amended: 26 November 1997
Source ID: 19101
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 300m E of the cross roads in Walton West, on the N side of the road running E from Little Haven.
Community: The Havens (Yr Hafanau)
Community: The Havens
Locality: Walton West
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Anglican parish church, medieval origins, altered through the centuries, the W tower cut down and gable roofed before the late C18. Restored 1853-4 by R.K. Penson. A watercolour and plan in Talbenny church, said to be of 1780 and inscribed wrongly 'the cathedral of Talbenny', shows the cut-down tower and plan as now, but with plain square windows to the nave and chancel and no NE chapel. In 1851 the church was delapidated but had the nave E bellcote, the only window of note was the blocked chancel N window, with trefoiled head. There was a small chancel arch and a large squint, now gone, on the S side and the arcade had two very low flattened arches. The N aisle was windowless and narrow.
Parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs and red terracotta ridges. Complex outline with 7 different roofs: a medieval tower cut-down and gable-roofed, medieval nave, lean-to N aisle and chancel, the roof pitches altered in 1853-4, gabled NE chapel taller than N aisle, added 1853-4, gabled NW vestry lower than N aisle, added in later C19 and S porch added 1853-4. W bellcote and nave E bellcote both remodelled or rebuilt in 1853-4. Windows of 1853-4, flush painted ashlar surrounds. W tower has flat-topped bellcote with single pointed opening, SW stair tower projecting W and S, asymmetrical slopes to gable, and C19 2-light W window. A blocked single light above. Nave has coped gabled E bellcote with one opening, S porch with coped gable, cross finial and pointed doorway, and 2-light unmoulded S window with roundel. N aisle has three small lancets. NW vestry has coped gable and one W lancet. Chancel is of similar length to nave, one small single-light to S wall left, ashlar 3-light E window, simple cusped heads and hoodmould. NE chapel is shorter, 2-light E window similar to nave S window and one small N cusped lancet.
Rubble stone walls, C19 roofs with arch-braced collar trusses and cusping to apex with angle struts. Segmental pointed relieving arches to C19 windows and door. W end, the base of the medieval tower, has fine pointed stone vault, the walls splayed inwards towards the W window. Nave has C13 square font, scalloped, on round shaft with square base. C19 ashlar pointed chancel arch and pair of segmental arches to N arcade on square pier. Lean-to N aisle, gabled NW vestry, and stone pointed arch to C19 NE chapel. NE chapel has segmental arch to chancel. Chancel has blocked N window.
Fittings: W window of 1870, Faith & Hope, two figure panels on aesthetic movement yellow and white stylised plant background. Below, inset in wall, a small female effigy, possibly medieval, possibly C16. Pitch pine nave pulpit, altered. N aisle has at W end 2 reset medieval incised stones, one with crude head of a lady, the other the outline of a bell. NE chapel E window has 2-light patterned glass of c1865. Beneath is the pine former E end reredos of 1888 with quatrefoil panels. Between NE chapel and chancel is reset C10 cross-inscribed stone with Latin wheel cross and interlace border, carved onto a rounded beach stone. In chancel arch short length of rail each side, on iron shafts with Maltese cross above. Sanctuary has fine encaustic tile paving of 1888. E window stained glass of c1865, 3-light with single figure panel of Christ carrying Cross, patterned coloured glass elsewhere.
Retains its medieval plan and substantial fabric including the vaulted base of the tower, together with ancient font and inscribed stone. This church has a remarkable appearance due to the additions made in the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings