This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3942 / 51°23'38"N
Longitude: -3.4133 / 3°24'47"W
OS Eastings: 301766
OS Northings: 167072
OS Grid: ST017670
Mapcode National: GBR HM.RG4J
Mapcode Global: VH6FN.S7C2
Plus Code: 9C3R9HVP+MM
Entry Name: Gileston Manor
Listing Date: 16 December 1952
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 13131
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the centre of Gileston village and immediately west of the Church of St Giles.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Athan (Sain Tathan)
Community: St. Athan
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The exterior appearance of this house is almost all of the very early C18, perhaps c1710, but internal evidence (not seen at resurvey) shows both the north-west and north-east wings as being of C16 date, the former being late medieval. The structure of these two wings is not now joined, but presumably originally was. They stand on either side of the current stairhall, but their origins are also largely hidden internally, for the house has a standard Queen Anne double-depth plan. The west wing was extended north in the late C18 to add an up-to-date kitchen. The house was re-windowed, given dormers and changed internally in the early C19, probably in 1812 as on the dated stable block (qv). Since then there have been decorative changes internally but the exterior has remained much the same. There have been some changes to detail in the C20, possibly including the main entrance, and the addition of the screen walls to the south front, as well as the small wing on the east side.
The house is rough-cast, with smooth render lined as ashlar on the main front, with limestone ashlar chamfered quoins and cement window surrounds, hipped Welsh slate roof with a timber modillion eaves cornice. Two storeys and attic, double depth central entrance plan house.
The main elevation (south) has five windows, sashes with thin glazing bars, 6 over 6 panes. These probably date from 1812 and are in openings adapted from those for the original probably mullion-and-transom casements. Central panelled double doors, internal part glazed double doors, semi-circular hood on scrolled and foliated brackets; both doors and hood could be C20 replacements although in good early C18 character. Steeply pitched hipped roof with three flat topped dormers with 2 2 pane casements, four square rendered stacks which have been heightened; these are on the end walls and on the ridges of the rear wings. There is a short screen wall on either side terminating in a pier capped by a large vase, also C20 additions.
The west elevation is plainer and also partly obscured by garden growth. The ground floor has two sash windows and a small late C20 conservatory, the upper floor three more sash windows, the most northern of which is 8 over 8 panes, the others 6 over 6. Cornice and three more dormers as before, two more stacks on the ridge and north gable. The east elevation has a two storey one bay extension, more sashes, two more dormers and another stack on the gable. The north side on the service court has had various changes with one and two storey extensions to both wings. The gable end of the west wing carries the estate bell.
Only the entrance hall and staircase were seen at resurvey. This is floored by stone slabs and is partitioned off from the rooms on either side, the doorways to which appear to be C19 alterations. The staircase is reached through a sem-elliptically headed archway and rises by straight flights and half landings to attic level. It is of pine with a mahogany handrail and has an open string with carved brackets, two cable twist balusters to each tread and a curtail with four clustered balusters. Dado with ovolo moulded panelling and terminal pilasters. All these features are unusually carried right through to the attic and the stair is unusually broad and easy because it is fitted into the wider than usual space between pre-existing walls (see History). The rest of the interior is fully described in RCAHMW and has not been significantly changed since their inspection. It particularly mentions the vaulted cellar, the C19 decorative changes, and others of 1938, the moulded dining room ceiling and the panelling of the upper rooms. Surviving from the early C16 house are the winding stair in the north-west section and two arch braced collar trusses which seems to suggest there was once a first floor hall in the west wing. The rest of the roof is part of the early C18 rebuilding and later alterations.
Included and highly graded as a very fine Queen Anne house with a good staircase and very strong group value with the immediately adjacent Church of St Giles.
Other nearby listed buildings