This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4062 / 51°24'22"N
Longitude: -3.5013 / 3°30'4"W
OS Eastings: 295669
OS Northings: 168532
OS Grid: SS956685
Mapcode National: GBR HH.QQ0D
Mapcode Global: VH5HZ.8XBD
Entry Name: Lodge to Dimlands
Listing Date: 10 September 1982
Last Amended: 16 December 2004
Source ID: 13296
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 1200m south-west of the Church of St. Illtud on the road to St. Donats.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llantwit Major (Llanilltud Fawr)
Community: Llantwit Major
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1854-5 (plaque), and possibly to the design of Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, brother-in-law to the Rev. Iltyd Nicholl, for whom he designed The Ham (now demolished).
Two storey lodge with roughly squared limestone rubble walls, castellated angle turrets and parapets on corbels, the stone tablets and coats of arms adorning the walls relate to salient events in the history of the family of the now demolished Dimlands House. Square-headed window openings with dripstones and narrow turret openings with four-centred heads. The roofs are hidden behind the parapets.
Road elevation with 3-light transomed left hand ground floor window with single light window to right hand and two first floor single light windows. Circular turret at right hand or north-east end; tablet on turret wall inscribed 'Robert Nicholl/and/Elisabeth Carne/AD 1800' (the date relating to their marriage). Polygonal turret to left hand or south-west with stone tablet in form of scroll with coat-of-arms with date 1404 above, the tablet inscribed: 'This Tower was begun by John Deveureux Van Dod (?) Nicholl Carne Aust XII MDCCCLIV'.
South-west (Drive) elevation with two square-headed windows above and a similar 2-light window below. Polygonal tower at northern end with single light 4-centred windows and blocked doorway with inserted window, the last with scroll tablet over inscribed: 'The first stone of this tower was laid by E? Stradling Nicholl Carne/August 1st 1854'. Probably Carne coat-of-arms above with date 1336. Lower wing to north with doorway to right hand and 2-light window above and below to left hand. Modern flat-roofed wing to rear at north-east.
Castellated stone boundary wall to north-east or right hand of lodge; castellated stone gate pier and wall to south-west of lodge and entrance to drive.
Interior not inspected at resurvey. Inside there is said to be a large stone staircase, similar to the staircase at Tresilian Summerhouse and formerly, apparently, external.
Included as a mid C19 romantic lodge built for an important local family and designed possibly by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt.
Other nearby listed buildings