This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4415 / 51°26'29"N
Longitude: -3.1722 / 3°10'20"W
OS Eastings: 318623
OS Northings: 172038
OS Grid: ST186720
Mapcode National: GBR HY.NGSB
Mapcode Global: VH6FL.Y1T9
Entry Name: School House
Listing Date: 19 November 1990
Last Amended: 21 January 1993
Source ID: 13338
Building Class: Education
Location: Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
First built in 1876 by Henry Harris in Tudor-Gothic style; greatly enlarged by J Coates Carter, the well-known architect of Penarth, in early C20 with some Classical detail.
The front blocks are arranged as a U-shaped group with Boys and Girls Halls and classrooms separated by the central School House, set back behind front garden. Rubble construction, snecked to earlier work and coursed to enlargements; freestone dressings to windows and quoins. Tiled roofs, overhanging eaves and brick chimney stacks; square-pane glazing. The hall ranges, Boys uphill and Girls downhill have gables to the road and transverse wings with downhill gable ends; doorways to front in middle. Boys have 3-light square headed window with pilasters; Girls have Venetian type window with central keystone; rounded cills. Both gables have blue and white painted decoration, (by R Norton Nance of St Ives, designed by his wife), including fleur de lys, dragons and birds, on roughcast; some of the Girls' decoration is set in a reticulated pattern border. Below eaves to left of entrances are unusual inset painted panels depicting boys at work and girls doing exercises with dumb-bells. Similar downhill gable ends have simple painted decoration and 3-light windows; Girls have a further transverse wing stepped forward with twin gable end. Small clerestories to both roofs on both sides.
2-storey house with tall gable to advanced right hand bay; pointed arched lights with high transom to 1st floor below blind shield and relieving arch; paired cross-frame windows to ground floor with trefoil headed lights, small-pane to top. Hipped dormer roof over left hand 1st floor cross-frame window; lean-to below containing 3-light window and porch with segmental arched entry; shouldered doorway within.
At the rear there are single-storey school ranges relating to the earlier work and with similar trefoil headed lights; these are set within tall gables and with transom at eaves level.
Arched braced roof trusses to the later work.
Other nearby listed buildings