History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Footbridge at Cogan's Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4466 / 51°26'47"N

Longitude: -3.1888 / 3°11'19"W

OS Eastings: 317480

OS Northings: 172624

OS Grid: ST174726

Mapcode National: GBR HX.N4M6

Mapcode Global: VH6FD.PW2Y

Entry Name: Footbridge at Cogan's Station

Listing Date: 21 January 1993

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13349

Building Class: Transport

Location: At N end of station platforms, aligned roughly E-W with, to S, flight of steps to each platform.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Late C19 cast iron and wrought iron pedestrian bridge over railway line at Cogan station. This section of former Barry Railway began services 20 December 1888.

Exterior

Square cast-iron balusters with ball finials; foundry plates 'George Smith & Co, Glasgow'. Wrought iron lattice girder rails to stairs and bridge; cast iron handrail.
Steps have wooden treads and cast-iron risers with pierced quatrefoils. At turn of stairs half landing supported by cast-iron Italianate quattrocento style Corinthian columns on fluted plinths; pierced cast-iron angle bracing. Bridge has wooden decking; rails strengthened by five bulbous braces which pass under decking. Two modern lamps on N side of bridge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barons Court PH
    On the W bank of the Ely River and its late C20 road bridge, adjacent to the roundabout linking the A4055 Barry Road and A4160 Penarth Road.
  • II Former National School and School-house
    Situated on a corner, the former school fronting Penlan Road and the schoolhouse fronting Lewis Road
  • II Church of St Dochdwy
    Prominently sited on high ground overlooking Cardiff Bay to E and at the junction between Llandough Hill, Penlan Road and Leckwith Road with small village green in front and within a large walled chur
  • II St Joseph's Presbytery
    To NW of entrance front of St Joseph's Church.
  • II St Joseph's Church
    Large Italian Romanesque style church oriented E-W on prominent site at junction of Wordsworth Avenue and Coleridge Avenue.
  • II Pound Cottage
    Situated opposite the church and village green, by the junction of Penlan and Leckwith Roads and Llandough Hill.
  • II Albert Road County Infants School
    Set in the slope opposite the top end of the public gardens. Stepped forecourt wall with gate piers.
  • II Woodland Hall
    To N of Trinity Church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.