History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodland Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4371 / 51°26'13"N

Longitude: -3.1783 / 3°10'42"W

OS Eastings: 318190

OS Northings: 171563

OS Grid: ST181715

Mapcode National: GBR HY.NM8B

Mapcode Global: VH6FL.V4LM

Entry Name: Woodland Hall

Listing Date: 21 January 1993

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13384

Building Class: Commercial

Location: To N of Trinity Church.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

By John Coates Carter, Penarth based architect. Original plans dated 1896 link building with All Saint's Church but do not include W side of front block (shown as on these plans on OS Second Edition map, revised 1899).

Exterior

Free Arts and Crafts style; slate roof, pebble dash first floor, red brick ground floor with bathstone banding and dressings. Main front faces roughly S; L-shaped plan. Two gables face street, that to R set forward with eaves sweeping down to first floor and with overhanging bell housing; each gable has large round-arched multi-paned window (moulded band above R window). Central small-pane multi-light window set at eaves. On ground floor, central doorway with shallow porch; to L, window group consisting of larger three-light small-pane window flanked by smaller small-pane windows all with bathstone surround.
To R of doorway, small three-light window flanked by smaller single light windows (now blocked) all between horizontal bathstone bands which continue round building. W gable end has no openings; cut corner to L. At rear of main block on first floor two gables (smaller to L); small pane window to L large semi-circular window to R. On ground floor, two camber-headed windows and large window with concrete lintel.
Rear wing at right angles in same style has square headed windows to E and W elevations, glazing altered during conversion to offices.
Single storey block at angle.

Interior

Converted to offices circa 1980's but parts of original open roof visible on first floor.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.