This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4512 / 51°27'4"N
Longitude: -3.1995 / 3°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 316746
OS Northings: 173148
OS Grid: ST167731
Mapcode National: GBR KCY.KR
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.HSFD
Plus Code: 9C3RFR22+F6
Entry Name: Former National School and School-house
Listing Date: 6 April 1989
Last Amended: 26 April 2002
Source ID: 13431
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated on a corner, the former school fronting Penlan Road and the schoolhouse fronting Lewis Road
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llandough (Llandochau)
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Early C19. Original list description of 1989 refers to whitewash and render finish to school. Shown as two separate units on the 1841 Tithe Map, school house and cottage.
Former school and attached school-house now a single dwelling. Built of coursed limestone on a plinth with brick dressings to school windows and Welsh slate roof; centre brick ridge stack to school, end stack to house. Plan of single storey school with central fireplace and 2-storey house cross wing. Two 20-pane sash windows with cambered heads to school frontage; blocked square-headed window under wide voussoirs to gable end. Stepped back is the house wing which has a doorway with boarded door under cambered voussoirs and a single 12-pane casement window to each floor, cambered voussoirs to ground floor.
Interior retains flag floors. Wide black fireplace in main former school room with narrow wood stairs rising adjacent, parallel with the wall; boarding encasing stairs is visible in corner of living room of house; boarded doors.
Listed as a rare survivor in Glamorgan of a local school building and school-house from the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings