History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marine Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.445 / 51°26'42"N

Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W

OS Eastings: 318942

OS Northings: 172430

OS Grid: ST189724

Mapcode National: GBR HY.N9WF

Mapcode Global: VH6FF.1YP3

Entry Name: Marine Buildings

Listing Date: 20 June 1986

Last Amended: 21 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13351

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Below hillside overlooking the entrance to the former Penarth Dock; adjoining the Customs House on E side.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Penarth

Community: Penarth

Built-Up Area: Penarth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Circa 1865 (shown on 1880 1st edition OS map); marked as 'Marine Hotel' on 2nd edition, revised 1899). French Renaissance style. Architect perhaps Samuel Dobson, but some similarities in style with Headlands School (Paget Place).

Exterior

Three-storey and attic, wide symmetrical domestic block, yellow brick facings with bathstone dressings and red rusticated plinth. Slate roof (now partially removed), with French pavilion roofs to ends with ornamental railings, mid roof parapets with brick chimneys. 15-window front divided into 5 sections of 3-window, squat second floor pilasters support roll-moulded eaves cornice, raised segmental dormer-heads with twin lights to centres of bays, plain surrounds with keystones to other windows. Deep bracket cornice over first floor with enriched window architraves, bracket cornices with pediments to centre windows, panelled inlays to friezes. Dropped sills to cantilevered balconies with Taff Vale Railway monogram in ironwork to 5 centre bays which break band courses over ground floor. Grouped segmental and arched openings to ground floor, continuous rope-moulded hoods, through transoms, keystones under balconies to wide windows with centre colonettes and cast Romanesque capitals (boarded over at time of inspection); doorways up steps (paired to centre), 6-panel doors.

Three-bay return elevation on right, detailing as on main front.

Boarded up at time of inspection (February 1992).

Reasons for Listing

Group value with the Customs House.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.