This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.521 / 51°31'15"N
Longitude: -3.3129 / 3°18'46"W
OS Eastings: 309006
OS Northings: 181052
OS Grid: ST090810
Mapcode National: GBR HR.HHD4
Mapcode Global: VH6F4.J1G9
Entry Name: Pant-y-gored including attached byre range to right
Listing Date: 9 September 1974
Last Amended: 31 January 2000
Source ID: 13499
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set on a bank above a crossroads between the villages of Creigiau and Pentyrch and fronting a flagged terraced forecourt bordered by a stone wall.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
c 1500 with later C18 alterations. P. Smith identifies it as an early storeyed house with hall and parlour of equal size, whose use was later reversed. Chamber above hall was originally open to roof whereas that over parlour has loft over. Owner reports house was thatched until 1950s. Mentioned in Rhys Meurig Booke of Glamorganshire Antiquities 1578.
Farmhouse, a T-unit structure, slightly battered. Of stone rubble with brick surrounds, Welsh slate roof with end corniced stacks. 2 storeys. Front elevation has a 4-window range of 3/3 horned sashes, cambered heads and keystones; ground floor has doorway with overlight and boarded door centre left, similar window to left and 2 to right. Gable end left (W) has a wide chimney projection with single storey outshut extending forward, stepped down and with a chimney in gable end, former wash-house . Attached to right (E) is a range of outbuildings comprising a low tiled roof over a lime-rendered former byre with cambered windows and central doorway; attached to right a taller former stable and granary with stone steps to gable end and single window range, similar cambered heads, though with stone voussoirs.
Ground floor has two large rooms separated by a cross passage with chamfered and stopped joists. To left room a massive chamfered and stopped cross beam and joists, fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch, restored, with moulded jambs, flag floor. Right room has stone arch with voussoirs from passage, again massive chamfered and stopped cross beam and joists, very large open fireplace, pointed-arched stone doorway to stairs in rear wall. Stairs of stone have added wood treads; slab ceiling to stairs and further pointed arched doorway on upper floor. Doorway leading into front bedroom has an ornate timber-framed door-head carved with a fleur-de-lys. A-frame roof timbers believed to be retained, small parts of the trusses visible on first floor.
Listed primarily for its importance as a late medieval farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings