This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5102 / 51°30'36"N
Longitude: -3.3963 / 3°23'46"W
OS Eastings: 303196
OS Northings: 179957
OS Grid: ST031799
Mapcode National: GBR HN.J0FM
Mapcode Global: VH6F3.29WL
Entry Name: Garden wall, gates and gate piers bounding S garden at Talygarn
Listing Date: 30 January 1981
Last Amended: 15 August 2000
Source ID: 13512
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the S side of the house.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The garden wall is first shown in its entirety on the 1914 Ordnance Survey, although the wall along the S side had been built by 1899, and the wrought iron gates are said to have been brought from Venice in 1892-3. The wall as it continues on the E side of the garden was moved further E from its original position, as shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey, to the S side of the water tower, probably when the SE wing of the house was extended to the previously detached tower.
Talygarn was purchased by G T Clark, the prominent industrialist and antiquary, in 1865. The present house retains the core of an earlier house and was built mainly 1879-82 with further important additions in 1892-4 and the early C20. The gardens and park were laid out from 1877 with formal gardens to the S, W and N of the house, and with informal woodland grounds centred on a lake to the S of the house.
A rubble stone wall partly battered at the base and capped by a yew hedge, except the NE end which is brick with freestone coping and has a brick lean-to against it. The wall is highest at the NE end and becomes progressively shorter around the S side where it merges with a brick wall. At the NE end, where it abuts the SE wing of the house, is a gateway (originally positioned further W) with a pair of round-headed iron gates under an elliptical arch with moulded capitals and crowned by a broken pediment. On the S side is a similar pair of round-headed iron gates, flanked by square piers, that lead to stone steps with moulded treads. The steps lead up to a small landing and then further flights are on the N, E and W sides to further paths. On the E side the path leads to a stone seat set against the wall (the bench has now fallen) with a stone back.
Listed for its garden history interest as retaining fine iron gates, and for group value with Talygarn and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings