This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5105 / 51°30'37"N
Longitude: -3.3963 / 3°23'46"W
OS Eastings: 303196
OS Northings: 179983
OS Grid: ST031799
Mapcode National: GBR HN.J0FK
Mapcode Global: VH6F3.29VF
Entry Name: Upper terrace wall in S garden at Talygarn
Listing Date: 15 August 2000
Last Amended: 15 August 2000
Source ID: 23920
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the S side of the house.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The terraces in the S garden were created in 1893 and comprised a terrace for taking tea and a rose garden. The terrace walls were mostly built by 1899 and are shown on the Ordnance Survey of that date, while steps were added to the lower terrace wall by 1914, by which time a sundial had also been added to the lower terrace, around which rose beds were laid.
Talygarn was purchased by G T Clark, the prominent industrialist and antiquary, in 1865. The present house retains the core of an earlier house and was built mainly 1879-82 with further important additions in 1892-4 and the early C20. The gardens and park were laid out from 1877 with formal gardens to the S, W and N of the house, and with informal woodland grounds centred on a lake to the S of the house.
A terrace revetment wall aligned E-W, of rubble stone. The parapet is rebuilt in blockwork but retains intermediate and terminal square piers. Central stone steps have similar piers, one of which is topped by a fluted urn with relief masks, and a balustrade of open quatrefoils. At the W end are 2 square piers defining a path to the main S garden gates. Attached to the E side the revetment continues to define 3 sides of a further terrace, which has stone steps in its S side.
Listed for group value with Talygarn and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings