History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge at Adam's Pond in woods S of Talygarn

A Grade II Listed Building in Pont-y-clun, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5094 / 51°30'33"N

Longitude: -3.3966 / 3°23'47"W

OS Eastings: 303171

OS Northings: 179867

OS Grid: ST031798

Mapcode National: GBR HN.J0BM

Mapcode Global: VH6F3.2BP7

Entry Name: Bridge at Adam's Pond in woods S of Talygarn

Listing Date: 30 January 1980

Last Amended: 15 August 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13514

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located in informal woodland grounds at the foot of a path down a steep wooded slope approximately 170m S of the house.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Community: Pont-y-clun

Community: Pont-y-Clun

Locality: Talygarn

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Ystradowen

History

Dated 1897 on a tablet, and built to carry a track over the N side of an informal pond in the woodland grounds.

Talygarn was purchased by G T Clark, the prominent industrialist and antiquary, in 1865. The present house retains the core of an earlier house and was built mainly 1879-82 with further important additions in 1892-4 and the early C20. The gardens and park were laid out from 1877 with formal gardens to the S, W and N of the house, and with informal woodland grounds centred on a lake to the S of the house.

Exterior

On the N side of an ornamental pool. A S-facing single-arched bridge of rubble stone carrying a track over a watercourse, the ground rising steeply on the N side. The round arch has a stressed keystone. On the W side are stone steps to a basin in front of the arch, while on the E side the wall curves around the edge of the pond. The parapet is now mostly missing although it terminated in rendered square piers that survive, attached to the W of which part of the openwork parapet can still be seen. The arch is flanked by tall inscription tablets bearing engravings of romantic poems. The L tablet is dedicated as an 'Address to the Nymph of the Rock'. A third inscription tablet on the E side is dated 1897.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its garden history interest as a well-preserved romantic landscape feature, and for group value with Talygarn and other associated listed items.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.