This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6052 / 51°36'18"N
Longitude: -3.3387 / 3°20'19"W
OS Eastings: 307388
OS Northings: 190443
OS Grid: ST073904
Mapcode National: GBR HQ.B2WX
Mapcode Global: VH6DK.2XTB
Plus Code: 9C3RJM46+3G
Entry Name: The Pontypridd Museum (formerly Tabernacle Baptist Chapel)
Listing Date: 17 July 1990
Last Amended: 26 February 2001
Source ID: 13520
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the W Bank of the River Taff immediately beside Pontypridd Bridge. Set back from the street behind a railed forecourt.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Pontypridd
Traditional County: Glamorgan
A Baptist chapel built in 1861 by Rev E Roberts to replace the former Carmel Chapel. In 1910 the porch was added, and the interior was remodelled, by A O Evans, Williams and Evans, architects of Pontypridd. The chapel closed in 1983 but was restored in 1985/6 and reopened as an exhibition and cultural centre.
In a simple classical style of coursed, rock-faced stone with freestone dressings and quoins, and slate roof with ventilators. The symmetrical, 3-bay front has round-headed windows with bracket sills, and 2-light cast iron frames of 1910 with horizontal glazing bars and diamond paned heads. The gabled porch in the wider central bay is in neo-Baroque style. It has a gated entrance beneath a round arch with keystone. Rusticated pilasters are inscribed with names of former ministers, above which are entablature swags. Above the porch the central bay has a pair of windows, while the outer bays have single windows. A string course is between the storeys. A bracket cornice defines a pediment, within which is a round-headed recess with bracket sill containing a date stone. Quoins below and string course between floors.
The 3-window side walls have windows similar to the front. On the R side is a round-headed basement doorway with replaced door, and 3 basement windows similar to the remainder except one replaced.
The interior is converted to exhibition use. It retains its 3-sided gallery with cast iron columns and boarded panel front. The ceiling has a coved cornice and is divided into 4 quadrants with diagonal ribs of painted foliage and boarded bands, and has a central octagon panel. A swept semi-circular arch behind the pulpit frames the organ installed in 1910. The pulpit has a panelled front with flanking balustrades and steps.
Listed for architectural interest as a well-preserved town chapel in a prominent location, and for group value with Pontypridd Bridge and other nearby listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings