This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4322 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -3.3663 / 3°21'58"W
OS Eastings: 305113
OS Northings: 171246
OS Grid: ST051712
Mapcode National: GBR HP.P1YN
Mapcode Global: VH6FH.L8QC
Plus Code: 9C3RCJJM+VF
Entry Name: Llanfythin Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 February 1952
Last Amended: 8 September 1995
Source ID: 13595
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Farmhouse set on the W side of the Nant Llancarfan valley 1km due N of the village of Llancarfan.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanfythin farm is set on the site of a grange to Margam Abbey and a pre-Norman cemetery. After the dissolution of the abbey in 1536 Sir John Raglan of Garnllwyd tenanted the property and in 1546 Sir Edward Carne purchased the property from the Crown. The farm subsequently passed to Richard Carne of Nash and later passed into the hands of the Bassett family who built the gatehouse to the front of the property in 1636. In 1679 Thomas Bassett sold it to Sir Richard Bassett of Beaupre. After his death in 1707 it was bought by Robert Jones of Fonmon. In the C19 the house passed into the ownership of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Later alterations included raising of the eaves and re-fenestration.
The house comprises two blocks set at right angles on a platformed site cut into the rock on the S with an enclosed forecourt on its E side. Cement rendered elevations of local Liass limestone with sandstone dressings, with slate pitched roofs.
The W block is of 2-storeys and is of C16 date with later extensions to the N and W apparently retaining medieval masonry in its W wall. The S block is 2-storeys with cellar, presumably of medieval origins and supposedly incorporating the remains of a Norman chapel. This block appears to be of C16 date. The cellar is supposedly the remains of a Norman chapel. The W block was extended in the late C18 to the N and a kitchen wing was added to the W The first floor ceiling of the S block was raised and the upper storey was closed off and the roof structure has been replaced and the chimneys rebuilt in brick.
The older, S part of the W block has a base batter to the E wall. The entrance and fenestration on the E elevation are modern with a blocked 4-centred arched doorway to the left of the new door. The N gable end and the W wall of the kitchen wing are blind with a gable end chimney stack. The projecting C18 kitchen wing has modern fenestration on N wall and small pantry light on W gable with modern windows above. Modern lean-to extension to S end of kitchen wing encloses a formerly external door with plain chamfered jambs from an early doorway. S end of Elevation of W block is an original 2-light sunk chamfered square headed mullion window without hoodmould. S end of W range is a lean-to which is thought to have served as a bread house. The S wall of the S block is heavily battered at its base with a modern doorway leading to the cellar with large modern windows to ground and first floor. On the E gable end is a modern stair window, set up on the right is a small light with sunk chamfered jambs set between a small Sutton stone carved tablet depicting 3 rabbits. The N wall of the S range has blocked opening at E end with a modern doorway with window above. Substantial cellar beneath.
The principal room of the W block is divided into 3 bays by exposed ceiling beams each with broad chamfer and hollow stops with fillet. Modern fireplace in S gable end gives access to passage to S block with 2-centred dressed stone arch with keel stops. S block remains undivided at ground floor with enlarged modern window openings on the S wall. Exceptionally fine complexly moulded ceiling beams with massive torus moulded fillet and hollow chamfers. Cupboards to N side of fire on E gable, large open fire without surround. Gable entry spiral stair to S side of fire rises to first floor but second flight to attic now blocked. First floor has been subdivided and modernised. Attic storey to W range retains late C18 square-headed moulded fire surround with plaster fleur-de-lis and single Tudor rose on wall above. Fireplace flanked by moulded square cupboard frames (now blocked) each with plaster stylised rose above.
Listed grade II as a good example of a small C16 gentry dwelling with surviving internal features. Of special note are the fine reeded beams in the W wing.
Other nearby listed buildings