This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4324 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -3.3663 / 3°21'58"W
OS Eastings: 305113
OS Northings: 171260
OS Grid: ST051712
Mapcode National: GBR HP.NVB9
Mapcode Global: VH6FH.L8Q8
Entry Name: Garehouse at Llanfythin Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 January 1963
Last Amended: 8 September 1995
Source ID: 13610
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the N of Llancarfan village located on a private lane leading W from the Llancarfan- Bonvilston Road, immediately in front of Llanfythin Farmhouse.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Llanfythin farm is set on the site of a grange to Margam Abbey and a pre-Norman cemetery. After the dissolution of the Abbey in 1536 Sir John Raglan of Garnllwyd tenanted the property and in 1546 Sir Edward Carne purchased the property from the Crown. The farm subsequently passed to Richard Carne of Nash and later passed into the hands of the Bassett family who built the gatehouse to the front of the property in 1636. In 1679 Thomas Bassett sold it to Sir Richard Bassett of Beaupre. After his death in 1707 it was bought by Robert Jones of Fonmon. In the C19 the house passed into the ownership of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
Dated 1636, 2-storey gatehouse of lime-washed rubble elevations with pitched-slated roof. Flight of stone steps on E side rising to large opening with recess doorway with heavy complex ovolo-moulded doorframe with fleur-de-lis stops. The lintel above the doorway is carved with "T.T.1636 BB" presumably referring to Thomas Bassett. Exposed oak joists and wide oak boards above. First-floor access via external stone stair on SW corner rising to boarded door. Single chamber, un-ceiled with later ovolo-moulded 3-light mullion window to front and rear face with exposed timber lintels. Large open fireplace on north face with projecting oak bressumer carried on stone corbels. Exposed original roof structure has principals without corners and two trenched purlins.
Listed grade II as a rare surviving example of a C17 gatehouse to a minor gentry house and for group value with Llanfythin Farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings