History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4352 / 51°26'6"N

Longitude: -3.2406 / 3°14'26"W

OS Eastings: 313859

OS Northings: 171419

OS Grid: ST138714

Mapcode National: GBR HV.NX5F

Mapcode Global: VH6FK.S653

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 28 January 1963

Last Amended: 3 May 2002

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13626

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on SW side of the church, within the grounds of The Rectory and reached by a drive through that property.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Cardiff

Community: Dinas Powys

Community: Dinas Powys

Locality: St Andrews Major

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Dinas Powis

History

Probably C15. Originally the priest's house, it has served as a coach-house and stables and garage since the present Rectory was erected in early C19. Described in 1771 as The Parsonage House and consisting of 'on the first floor a Hall, little Parlour, Kitchen, Cellar, Dairy and Brewhouse. The whole is chiefly covered with Cornish Tyle and partly thatched. On the upper Floor are four Chambers and a Granary. The Hall has a lime floor, is plastered and whitewashed, never ceiled. The little parlour boarded, ceiled, plastered and whitewashed. The Kitchen, paved with large stones plastered and whitewashed, not ceiled. The Granary has part of the floor of earth and lime.' Part of a complex with barns and a large fold-yard reaching to the Ty-Draw wall with brook, rickyard and garden, only partially surviving. In 1771 was recorded as 'chiefly covered with Cornish tyle and partly thatched'; thatched until c 1900 and also damaged by a flood at this time. Interior was divided into stalls for horses post 1829. In C17 the rector Hugh Lloyd was dispossessed of his living after the Battle of St Fagans; reinstated after the Restoration he became bishop of Llandaff. Tithe Map of 1840 shows building L-shaped as at present.

Exterior

Former rectory converted to stables and coach-house. Walls of limewashed stone rubble; slate roof with overhanging eaves. To right, north-east elevation, are 2 original windows consisting of 2-light casements with moulded stone mullions, single transoms, trefoiled lights, spandrels, rectangular dripmoulds, iron saddlebars and stanchions. Other openings are early C19, including cambered-arched doorway between windows and loft openings; to left the cambered-arched former carriage entrance. At gable end left is a blocked doorway and attached cross wing showing various masonry alterations internally.

Interior

Interior retains a few blocked or altered features. End wall left has fireplace with lintel over unrelated to present floor level.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* as the substantail fabric of a very rare medieval rectory. Group value with the church, churchyard cross and Bier House.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Bier House in St Andrew's Churchyard
    In the SW corner of the churchyard facing E.
  • II Churchyard cross in St Andrew's Churchyard
    Standing S of the church.
  • II* Church of St Andrew
    On low-lying ground in the centre of the hamlet, a still rural community NW of the urban development of Dinas Powys, standing in a roughly rectangular churchyard with retaining wall incorporating ston
  • II Garn-hill and attached garden terrace
    On a south facing slope NE of the hamlet of St Andrews Major, reached by a long drive from the hamlet and set in terraced gardens.
  • II Lon Twyn
    On rising ground NW of the village centre, set within terraced gardens with views S over the Bristol Channel.
  • II The Mount
    Facing the Common on ground rising from and SW of the village centre. Set back from the road in a walled garden with entrance comprising tall rendered piers and tall decorative wrought iron gates.
  • II Dinas Powys Parish Hall
    Just to W and on rising ground above the village centre, on a railed and walled terrace of random stone reached by steps.
  • II Remains of Dinas Powis Castle
    On a wooded spur in Castle Wood, immediately above the C20 development of Lettons Way and reached by footpath from there.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.