This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5265 / 51°31'35"N
Longitude: -3.2594 / 3°15'33"W
OS Eastings: 312727
OS Northings: 181592
OS Grid: ST127815
Mapcode National: GBR HT.H4VN
Mapcode Global: VH6DZ.GW7P
Entry Name: Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 24 February 2000
Source ID: 13862
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: W of the main throughfare on a hillside and set within a large graveyard, walled and with iron gate on the S side. Attached at W to a terrace of cottages which are not included in the listing.
Community: Radyr and Morganstown (Radur a Phentre-poeth)
Community: Radyr and Morganstown
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Erected in 1842, with later extension to E. Chapel was adjacent to the small Ty'n y Berllan development of 10 ironworkers' cottages built for the Melingriffith Ironworks near the River Taff in 1841. Now part of Morganstown, the village was originally named Pentre Poeth. Pentyrch station of the Taff Vale Railway of 1836 was nearby to E, situated at the point where the Pentyrch and Melingriffith tramroad crossed this new railway. Since listing in 1977 slate roof has been replaced by concrete tiles. Interior dates from a later refubishment, probably contemporary with extension.
Small chapel with side wall facade, with lower Sunday School extension. Of scored rendered stone with concrete tile roof. Three tall round-headed windows with multipane glazing and tooled sills with plaque above; to right a round-headed doorway with double boarded doors and semi-circular fanlight. Lower extension, not scored, to right has two 4-pane sash windows and boarded door with overlight and gable end brick stack. Side elevation has an unrendered rubble plinth. Rear elevation has two round-headed windows.
Boarded access passage through vestry/Sunday School wing; 4-panelled doors. Chapel interior very plain and without gallery. Fully pewed, pew doors removed. Plastered ceiling has central rose, 2 ventilators and cornice; scored render; dado rail. Simple pulpit with backboard and narrow rails. Side entrance not in use opens directly into the chapel; rear fireplace.
Included primarily for its historic interest as a chapel dating from the early C19 industrial development of the area.
Other nearby listed buildings