This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5503 / 51°33'0"N
Longitude: -3.1615 / 3°9'41"W
OS Eastings: 319563
OS Northings: 184125
OS Grid: ST195841
Mapcode National: GBR HY.FKH6
Mapcode Global: VH6F1.590D
Plus Code: 9C3RHR2Q+4C
Entry Name: Lisvane Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 10 June 1977
Last Amended: 28 April 2000
Source ID: 13933
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the lower S facing slope of Caerphilly mountain, NE of Lisvane and surrounded by a walled graveyard.
Community: Lisvane (Llys-faen)
Locality: Craig Llysfaen
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Cause originated 1782, founded by Harri Rees of Ty Mawr, deacon and preacher at Bethesda Bassaleg. Site bought 1789 at Dderwen Deg (Fair Oak), the two existing cottages being converted into a chapel. Second chapel built 1818 at cost of £300 on same site; this had no gallery but an attached stable. At time of Revival in 1841 chapel had a membership of 52 adults. 3rd chapel - the present building - built 1858 at cost of £500. Further Revival 1904 led to renovations by J E Turner of Ty Gwyn at cost of £250. Photograph of 1929 shows sash windows and chimney. Titus Llewellyn, surveyor of the Tredegar Estate, was a leading member of the Baptist Chapel and wrote music for it and a history of it in 1929 and is buried in cemetery. Former list description includes reference to a 'memory sketch' of the previous chapel on display.
Rectangular plan oriented roughly NW/SE; stone walls with cement render and roughcast, painted. Slate gabled roof has wide boarded eaves and end gables. Main entrance elevation has two tall round-headed windows with replaced glazing flanking a round-headed doorway with replaced fanlight and renewed panelled double doors under a moulded arch with keystone; plaque above. Similar long windows to other gable end facing road. At gallery level the windows are square- headed with renewed glazing to former casements. Lean-tos with windows to each side: that to S, the vestry, with separate entrance. The graveyard contains some table tombs.
3-sided gallery with plain panelled front supported by 5 plain cast-iron columns. Between the long windows is a blind semi-circular arched moulded reredos with fluted and reeded archivolt and keystone; below is the pulpit facing entrance with double staircase. Plaster ceiling with moulded rose and cornice. Pews with moulded ends. Enclosed entrance lobby, the stairs unusally rise from the body of the chapel at each side. Plain gallery benches; panelled dado, scored render, 4-panelled doors.
Listed for its architectural interest as a plain country chapel from the mid C19 on an earlier site; group value with the important baptistry.
Other nearby listed buildings