History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pascoe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Butetown, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4664 / 51°27'59"N

Longitude: -3.166 / 3°9'57"W

OS Eastings: 319097

OS Northings: 174807

OS Grid: ST190748

Mapcode National: GBR KMS.18

Mapcode Global: VH6FF.2DLP

Entry Name: Pascoe House

Listing Date: 19 May 1975

Last Amended: 21 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13964

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Opposite the junction of Bute Street and West Bute Street and on the opposite corner of the new road from Cardiff Bay Railway Station; Dock Chambers to right and Dock Lane to left.

County: Cardiff

Community: Butetown

Community: Butetown

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Penarth

History

Built in 1875 by W D Blessley, architect of Cardiff, as offices of Powell Duffryn Coal Co. ; extended to N in 1906 by E W M Corbett, architect of Cardiff, closely matching the style of the original builing. Confusingly the 1880s OS map shows this building as a branch bank.

Exterior

Eclectic, High Victorian building including strong Gothic and Italian Renaissance elements. 3-storeys and attic; coursed dark rubble with Bath stone dressings and Radyr stone plinth band and polychromy to ground floor arcading. Hipped slate roof with fine stone chimney stacks grouped together by wrapround stone band; the left hand chimneys mark the end of the original building. Exuberant eaves treatment with pierced parapet over deep acanthus derived cornice. Horned sash windows; modern dormers to front. Building began symmetrically with 2 1 2 front with advanced central entrance bay and end pilaster strips; then extended by 3-bays to left with further end pilaster strip. 2nd floor has impost band, rope moulded sill band and nook shafts; 1st floor has lower band course linking segmental headed windows with heavily ornamented architraves. Arcaded ground floor windows with polychrome voussoirs and bosses to tympani; foliated impost band, ballflowers to bases of nook shafts and swept band below sill. Pointed truncated granite columns, tapered to base; panelled double doors to shouldered doorway. Cellar openings to earlier part. Similar treatment to 1-window left hand end and 5 4 -window rear with a skewed angle to the 3-window extension. Varied dormers including 2 pyramidal roof dormers to left, modern to middle and gabled to right. The original part has central 2-storey projection. To L, at junction with Dock Lane, triangular enclosure defined by iron railings with floral finials, square iron gatepiers with finials, gates in matching style.

Interior

The main rooms have guilloche pattern cornices and panelled doors.

Reasons for Listing

A strong High Victorian commercial building with eclectic use ofstyles and polychrome materials. Group value.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.