This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4653 / 51°27'55"N
Longitude: -3.1656 / 3°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 319128
OS Northings: 174682
OS Grid: ST191746
Mapcode National: GBR KMS.4P
Mapcode Global: VH6FF.2FVJ
Entry Name: Former H.M.Immigration Office
Listing Date: 20 August 1992
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 13971
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Stepped down to left of Cory's Building; detached to left. Includes attached screen wall to right.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1898, by Henry Tanner (later knighted), the Chief Architect to the Office of Works. On site of former gardens to S of Dock Chambers. L-plan.
Fine Portland stone Classical facade to brick structure. 3-storeys, 3-bays with C16 and C17 influences; stone chimney stacks. Parapet at top with urns and panelled swagged ornament. Cornices to each floor, dentil to 2nd floor with Ionic pilasters and modillion to 1st floor with full Classical frieze and Doric pilasters. Recessed mullion and transom windows, 2-light to outer bays, 4-light to centre; sill bands. Dated 1898 to ground floor with Crown over keystone to shallow round arched central window with architrave; flanking windows have pulvinated friezes and egg and dart cornices. Ground floor cornice continues to right over attached Portland stone screen wall with similar round arch to decorative-iron gated entrance leading into small courtyard. Glazed stock brick side elevation with similar but simpler windows. Stone surround to main entrance.
Entrance hall with, to L, paired arches supported by pink granite Doric column and pilasters. To L, large office facing street. At far end, stairs with wrought-iron banisters lead up to landing off which is large enquiry room with panelled wood counter and screens; high ceiling with sunk panels, some with glazing; simple moulded beams; blind arcading to N wall. Smaller offices in similar style, than that over entrance with black marble fireplace.
Well-proportioned classical building by important public architect, also responsible for former Post Office in Westgate Street. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings