This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4774 / 51°28'38"N
Longitude: -3.1776 / 3°10'39"W
OS Eastings: 318314
OS Northings: 176041
OS Grid: ST183760
Mapcode National: GBR KJN.GB
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.V4Z7
Plus Code: 9C3RFRGC+XX
Entry Name: The Philharmonic Hall (Squares)
Listing Date: 11 November 1980
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source ID: 14099
Building Class: Commercial
Location: To L of Prince of Wales
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1876. Architect (or builder) Jackson and Sons. Interior music hall refitted 1887 by James & Morgan. Converted to pub restaurant 1997, retaining much of character of music hall.
Three storey Caen stone and yellow brick front. Classicising facade of 2-3-2 bays divided by pilasters and with entablature to each storey. Pediment over central 3 bays. First floor has round headed windows with keystones, sash glazing, between pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Upper floor segmental headed windows with keystones, the central ones narrow and in pairs.
Ground floor all modernised as recently as 1997, but retains pair of Ionic columns flanking entrance.
Pub restaurant converted from Victorian music hall, the walls retain Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and deep cove with lunette windows. Ceiling divided into panels. Rebuilt galleries on sides with iron posts beneath. Very shallow stage flanked by paired columns, originally with large projecting apron. Modern bar etc to former stalls. Lobbies etc in Victorian style.
Well-preserved mid Victorian front, and music hall auditorium a rare survival. Group value.
Other nearby listed buildings