This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5311 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -3.184 / 3°11'2"W
OS Eastings: 317963
OS Northings: 182014
OS Grid: ST179820
Mapcode National: GBR KH1.03
Mapcode Global: VH6F0.RSL5
Entry Name: Hill House
Listing Date: 3 September 1993
Last Amended: 10 October 2001
Source ID: 14135
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the E end of Llanishen, near the railway station. Set back from the road in its own grounds, the front facing N.
Community: Llanishen (Llanisien)
Locality: Station Road
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
High Victorian residence thought to be by W Douglas Blessley, architect of Cardiff, who designed houses in this Gothic style. It was built on 1 of 4 similar adjoining plots sold by the Bute estate, none of which are shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1875 (they are shown in 1920). The different styles of the 3 surviving houses would suggest that they are not all by the same architect. Hill House was probably built in the mid-late 1870s. It is possible that a reference in 'The Builder' for 1870 for tenders being received for construction of a villa in Cardiff by this architect, might relate to this building.
Two-storey house built of snecked rubble stone with red brick and freestone dressings, including red brick quoins; slate roofs, stellar shaped brick stacks, ridge cresting and overhanging eaves. Diamond leaded glazing. The 5-bay front is consciously asymmetrical with Gothic treatment to the 2 advanced bays to centre and R of centre which dominate the design. The broader central bay is gabled; it has a pointed arched entrance offset to the R with continuously moulded terracotta detail and stopped stone hoodmould; single light to L. The 2-light mullioned window above has a pointed arched tympanum with central roundel and chequerboard pattern (this style of Gothic detail is characteristic of Blessley's work). Small attic light with sill band. The bay to the R is the stair tower which has a hipped swept pyramidal roof with weathervane. The tall mullioned and transomed 3-light staircase window has 4-centred arched heads to the top tier, is cusped below the transom and contains stained glass; stone sill band with diagonal stops. Short mullioned 3-light lobby window below. Either side of the advanced bays the front has flat-headed windows. Single bay to R with 2-light mullioned window above a mid-late C20 ground floor extension in similar style with flat roof and 4-light window. Two bays to L including single-storey projection to R with parapets pierced with circles and single light window; single light above. To far L, cross-window to kitchen with 2-light mullioned window above.
The side elevations are of rock-faced masonry. Two-gable E end with corbelled stack to R, single light to L, and small lean-to below. W end has corbelled stack with single light to its L and lean-to garage below. Snecked rubble stone to rear, with main projecting 2-bay block to centre under a hipped roof; flat-headed mullioned windows with diamond-leaded glazing, mostly 2-light. This central block has a full-height canted bay to L, of brick with hipped pyramidal roof and French doors leading onto terrace; 2-light window above. Single light immediately R of canted bay. The R bay of the block has a 4-light window with 2-light window above. In the angle of the central block is a stack, L of which is a late C20 addition in similar style with hipped roof. To R of central block, 2-light window above a lean-to, with conservatory at right angles, later altered.
No access to interior at time of inspection (3/5/01), but from 1993 survey, the entrance is through diamond-glazed inner doors into the staircase hall. The dog-leg stairs are lit by the tall stained glass window and has moulded handrail, closely-spaced scrolled iron uprights and 'muscular gothic' newels decorated to the top with quatrefoils. The hall also has Gothic chimneypiece with columns and ballflower ornament to cornice. The main rooms have 6-panel doors with architraves, the one to the hall has high pointed arch, and a variety of cornices including dog-tooth to hall, acanthus to drawing room and foliated to dining room.
Listed for the special interest of its well-preserved High Victorian character, which makes it a good example of the larger late C19 suburban houses in Cardiff. Group value with 92 and 96 Station Road.
Other nearby listed buildings