This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9987 / 51°59'55"N
Longitude: -4.5035 / 4°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 228230
OS Northings: 236320
OS Grid: SN282363
Mapcode National: GBR D6.J7KV
Mapcode Global: VH2NB.W1J4
Entry Name: Glaspant
Listing Date: 23 March 1967
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14239
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down drive of some 700m running W from Capel Iwan chapel
Locality: Capel Iwan
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The house was built for Thomas Howell of Penralltcych in the early C19 and belonged to the Howell family to circa 1970, and was restored from circa 1975. In restoration evidence was found of an older front range, raised and also extended presumably circa 1800-20. The house has similar pediment and lunette to a number in the area, including Blaenpant, Llandygwydd, Pantirion St Dogmaels, 7 St Mary St, Cardigan, possibly by the same architect.
Circa 1800-20 country house, incorporating C18 smaller house, restored from 1975. Originally colourwashed roughcast with slate gabled roof and renewed bargeboards, walls now part stuccoed, part exposed stone. Three rendered C20 stacks to front range. SW front range is regular 5-window, two-storey front with end wall loft windows. Renewed 12-pane sashes with C20 stucco voussoirs and slate sills. Sashes to left of doorway are false. Centre broad arched doorway with fine timber tracery to fanlight and traceried sidelights. Centre pediment with small-paned tripartite lunette. Timber modillion cornices to eaves and pediemnt. SE end has single-storey double-hipped projection with 12-pane sash to SW, half-glazed door and paired hornless 12-pane sashes to SE. NW end has 12-pane sashes with rough stone voussoirs (exposed 1993) to two windows on each floor, brick head to loft window.
Rear Range: Two lower storeys, renewed stucco and various renewed windows to SE front, some sashes, some metal casements, C20 porch. Two renewed stacks. Behind, to NW runs rubble stone range with half-hipped NW gable and angle stack, and parallel gabled range, formerly a granary.
SE ground floor room has two arched alcoves and mid C19 slate fireplace to E end wall. Two ceiling borders, one scrolled, one reeded with leaf scroll. Centre hallway has renewed hall arch opening onto stick baluster lateral stair with moulded tread ends. Smaller SW room has simple plaster cornice. 6-panel doors, architraves with Regency detail, reeded with angle blocks, panelled shutters. In single-storey E end section, room with two arched alcoves. Rear range has two timeber lintel fireplaces, the intermediate one with scratched date of 1741.
Group value with the barn to SE.
Other nearby listed buildings