This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0617 / 52°3'42"N
Longitude: -4.6075 / 4°36'27"W
OS Eastings: 221345
OS Northings: 243581
OS Grid: SN213435
Mapcode National: GBR D1.DCSJ
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.3F1T
Entry Name: Courtyard with Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14509
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated by River Teifi just N of Castle Malgwyn house.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Circa 1840 stable and coach-house quadrangle (now house) possibly designed by Ambrose Poynter of London, who made plans for remodelling the mansion for Abel Anthony Gower (d.1837) and for the lodge built by his successor Abel Lewes Gower. The stables were built by Abel Lewes Gower. The stables are built on the site of the Penygored tin-plate works founded in the later C18 and much enlarged by Sir Benjamin Hammet c.1794-1802, but demolished by Hammet's widow 1808, before the estate was sold to A A Gower.
Exterior: Finely cut Cilgerran stone in long rectangular blocks, with slate roofs. Castellated style, the main accent a tall entrance tower off-centre on the E front. This has a block rusticated arch with impost bands and keystone, large panelled timber gates, a moulded cornice, two C20 timber mullion and transom light windows to first floor with rendered lintel, cornice over and big stepped gable with a large slate clock-face. Similar stepped gables each side and a truncated pyramid slate roof with tall octagonal timber domed lantern. To left one bay with small stepped gable and C20 window. To right, two stepped gables with vent loops and four C20 windows. S side has big stepped gables each end and two small stepped gables between with vent loops, two original mullioned windows to left. One ridge stack. W side has three stepped gables with loops. In NW angle a two-storey range with parapet, three arched ground floor windows, two upper windows, C20 plastic glazing. In angle to N range, recessed is octagonal turret with slate angle piers, metal louvres and slate ogee dome. N front to river has two small stepped gables with loops, three sets of two loops to main wall and bigger left end stepped gable.
Courtyard: C20 windows inserted: E entrance range has similar rear to tower, single arched door to right and C20 windows to left. S range has C20 door and two windows, then full-height ledged doors, then door with overlight flanked by casement pair windows, and another door at right end with stone dormer gable above, shouldered with timber cross-window. N range has four full-height carriage entries with ledged double doors, C20 window and door to right. NW angle range has parapet, three-window range of plastic windows imitating 9-pane upper windows and 12-pane lower. Octagonal turret to right. W range has C20 door and window in former broad opening, loop, double ledged doors and door with overlight. One ridge chimney.
In front of E front are two big corniced gate piers with ball finials.
Other nearby listed buildings