This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.061 / 52°3'39"N
Longitude: -4.608 / 4°36'28"W
OS Eastings: 221308
OS Northings: 243504
OS Grid: SN213435
Mapcode National: GBR D1.DCND
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.2GSC
Plus Code: 9C4Q396R+CQ
Entry Name: Castle Malgwyn Hotel
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14507
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated down drive of some 500m running W from Llechryd Bridge.
Locality: Castle Malgwyn
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Castle Malgwyn was built for Sir Benjamin Hammet who took over the Penygored tinworks in the 1790s. The house was originally called Ty Mawr Y Gwaith, the reputed castle site being further E at Castle Malgwyn Farm. Sir Benjamin Hammet died in 1801-2. The works were dismantled and the estate sold to Abel A Gower of Glandovan circa 1808. He died in 1837, and his son, Abel Lewes Gower (d.1849) built the stables and lodge. His widow planned to remodel the house in 'castellated style' in the 1860s, and plans were once at the house for a remodelling by Ambrose Poynter of London (supposedly of c.1840) but neither scheme was carried out.
Circa 1795 country house (now hotel) built for Sir Benjamin Hammet in connection with the tin-plate works that stood N of the house on the site of the stables. Rubble stone, originally roughcast, with slate hipped roofs and Cilgerran stone corniced end wall stacks. Large three-storey five-window front with 6-pane upper windows, 12-pane first floor windows and horizontally-barred sashes to ground floor. Centre large arched doorway in plain stucco surround. Windows have red brick heads and slate sills. Slate broad step up to C20 double doors and fanlight. Single-storey later C20 hotel addition to left.
Parallel rear hipped roof and arched stair light on S end wall. N end has one-window range set to right. Two parallel rear wings. L-plan SW rear wing has court infilled at ground floor, two stone ridge stacks on main range and one on SW return. NW rear range has half-hipped W end with end stack and 2-storey N elevation of some eight windows range, mostly 12-pane sashes.
Much modernised, broad centre hall with elliptical arch and fanlight at W end. Plain broad staircase off to S, two flights with iron balusters to rail. SW front room retains a fine white marble chimney piece with tapering pilasters, festoons and addorsed birds in centre, late C18.
Other nearby listed buildings