History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Attached Barn range to Penrallt Uchaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangoedmor, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.075 / 52°4'29"N

Longitude: -4.5972 / 4°35'49"W

OS Eastings: 222103

OS Northings: 245031

OS Grid: SN221450

Mapcode National: GBR D2.CGB3

Mapcode Global: VH2MX.83HM

Entry Name: Attached Barn range to Penrallt Uchaf

Listing Date: 10 August 1994

Last Amended: 10 August 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14796

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated down long track of some 800m running S along Nant Arberth valley from point just E of Pont Rhydarberth.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llangoedmor

Community: Llangoedmor

Locality: Pont-rhyd-arberth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llechryd

History

A little altered farmhouse group with unpaved bedrock yard. Marked on 1840 Tithe Map as owned by Evan Protheroe, occupied by George Griffith. A David Jones of Penyrallt (d 1763) is commemorated in Llangoedmor Church, and Evan Griffith (d 1831) in churchyard. The 1705 datestone is among the earliest in Ceredigion.

Exterior

Farmhouse: Early C18 or earlier farmhouse with barn attached below. Whitewashed rubble stone with asbestos roofs and red brick end stacks, larger to left. One-and-a-half storeys. Three large C20 eaves-breaking windows. Ground floor two x 4-light casements, door and small 12-pane sash. Attached at NE corner is gabled projection with boarded window and door under rough dripcourse. Datestone above 'DI 1705'. One side window. Added SW rear wing with brick end stack. House has heavy beams and fireplace lintel to E end kitchen.

Barn: Attached downhill to E with slate roof, camber-arched entry with stone voussoirs and double doors, in angle to house projection. One loop to left. 4-bay roof with triple purlins and pegged collar trusses. Three stepped loops in end wall and six tiers of paired dove-holes in gable with slate shelves. Downhill, attached at rear angle is an asbestos roofed stable with centre door and window each side, the left window with stone voussoirs, door and other window with timber lintels.

Reasons for Listing

A good early example of a local vernacular farmhouse group.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.