This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.07 / 52°4'11"N
Longitude: -4.6011 / 4°36'4"W
OS Eastings: 221815
OS Northings: 244485
OS Grid: SN218444
Mapcode National: GBR D2.CMCW
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.67FG
Plus Code: 9C4Q399X+XG
Entry Name: Detached Lower N Range at Glanolmarch
Listing Date: 10 August 1994
Last Amended: 10 August 1994
Source ID: 14788
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in open countryside to N of village, approached by drive of some 0.5km from former lodge, Maesycoed, on main road, N of school.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1883-5 country house designed by George Morgan of Carmarthen for J W Stephens. Coursed Cilgerran stone with Bath stone dressings and steep slate roofs, crested ridges and corniced chamfered stone stacks. Two storeys and attic, L-plan, three-window front and long NW rear wing. Flush ashlar quoins, raised plinth. Front is framed by two steep gables with ornate timber bargeboards, collared with angle struts above and centre turned post. Two big ridge stacks. Attic narrow single light each side over big ashlar mullioned 1-3-1-light canted bays with cornices, brattished over ground floor and stone hipped roof. Centre has 3-light mullioned window over projected Gothic door and narrow sidelights, the sidelights ogee-headed, the door Tudor arched. Brattished cornice over and ashlar coping sloped back to moulded course stepped over blank rectangular plaque.
W side is plain running back to slightly projected gable with ornate bargeboards, and N end stack, then lower service range with eaves-breaking dormer to left and N end stack. Windows are long and mullioned to main part, 2, 1 and 2-light above, 2, 2 and two single lights below then door with shouldered head in projecting coped ashlar surround with gablet, and single stair light over. Gable has 2-light each floor and attic single light. Service range has 6-pane sashes, the side panes narrower, four above, two and one 3-pane below.
E side has Tudor-arched opening to ground floor, originally to conservatory, 2-light and single light above, then gable matching that on W except with ground floor 3-light ashlar bay. N return has side-wall stack, ground floor lean-tos and Gothic 3-light stair-light in angle to right. 6-pane sash each floor in E return. E front of service range has two 6-pane sashes above, two broad cambered arched openings below and window, door and window, the broad openings have Cilgerran stone voussoirs and have been subsequently glazed.
A single storey range across N end of court has W end stack, door, broad carriage entry and door, all with Cilgerran stone voussoirs.
Broad entrance has stained glass panels to inner door. Staircase with carved newels, twisted balusters and punched ornament on string. Stained glass window dated '1885 JWS'. Front hall and main rooms have ceilings panelled in plaster between moulded timber ribs. Fireplaces removed.
One of the best surviving Victorian mansions in the area designed by the best known local firm of architects. Built for John W Stephens 1828-1920, merchant of Cardigan and Cardiff.
Other nearby listed buildings