This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.011 / 52°0'39"N
Longitude: -3.3021 / 3°18'7"W
OS Eastings: 310727
OS Northings: 235528
OS Grid: SO107355
Mapcode National: GBR YS.HKJX
Mapcode Global: VH6BM.QQ57
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 19 January 1963
Last Amended: 31 March 2005
Source ID: 14897
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Just SW of the Church of Saint Matthew in Llandefalle some 900m W of the A470.
Community: Felin-fach (Felin-fâch)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Earlier C18 former rectory, recorded in 1717, altered in 1868. Marked on 1842 Tithe map as occupied by the Rev Charles Vaughan with 31 acres (12.6 hectares). The 1868 plans show the enlargement of the rear wing, previously the back-kitchen, the addition of a bay window to the former kitchen to the front right, to match one already existing on the left, the moving of the two inner ground floor windows and some interior remodelling. The interior then had drawing room to W, dining-room to E, library to centre front and stairs to rear, kitchen in the rear wing. The plans were by John Cullin of Talgarth, for the Rev Walpole Harris, and the cost was £239/10/1d (£239.50).
The house ceased to be a rectory in 1952.
Former rectory, colour-washed rubble stone with slate roof and roughcast end stacks. Two storeys and attic, five bays. Three C19 gabled dormers, with bargeboards and half-timbering over casement pairs. Four first floor casement pairs, replaced in C20 uPVC, two each side of blank centre. Ground floor left and right C19 canted bay windows with long windows, 1-2-1 lights, the right one added 1868 as a copy of the left one, but with fixed cross window to front, where left one has a long French window. Casement pair window each side of the centre, aligned further in than the windows above, and marked as altered in 1868 plans. Half-glazed centre door with marginal glazing bars, in C19 gabled porch on thin iron posts, with fretted bargeboards. Lean-to on right end. Left end has big external chimneybreast, with canted sides, stepped in on right. To left is added projecting two-storey, one-bay range.
Rear has half-glazed door of with marginal glazing bars, in bargeboarded porch similar to that at front, in angle to rear wing, and blocked opening to right, two uPVC casement pairs above.
Rear NE wing, to left, enlarged in 1868 has roughcast N end stack, 1868 tripartite window to first floor W over uPVC imitation 12-pane sash, with brick heads; N end ground floor right window replaced in uPVC. E side has two first floor uPVC windows and lean-to with door between two windows.
Interior not inspected. The 1868 plan shows considerable alterations proposed.
Included despite altered windows as a substantial early C18 rectory of special architectural interest.
Other nearby listed buildings