This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0079 / 52°0'28"N
Longitude: -3.2882 / 3°17'17"W
OS Eastings: 311677
OS Northings: 235173
OS Grid: SO116351
Mapcode National: GBR YT.HP0G
Mapcode Global: VH6BM.YSJL
Plus Code: 9C4R2P56+5P
Entry Name: Trebarried Hall
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 31 March 2005
Source ID: 6798
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the E side of the A470 approximately 1km SE of the Church of Saint Matthew at Llandefalle.
Community: Felin-fach (Felin-fâch)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Substantial mid C17 gentry house of the Vaughan family, probably with C16 origins. A big three-storey main block with large rear staircase wing. The two-storey porch is apparently added, probably in C17. Elizabeth Williams of Trebarried, died 1799, is buried at the church.
Marked on 1842 Tithe map as part of the estate of Sir Joseph Bailey of Glanusk, occupied by Thomas Morris, with 272 acres (110.1 hectares). Later leased by John Ricketts (died 1865).
Altered in the early C19, with original windows blocked and sashes inserted, the roof altered and a shallow pediment built across centre. Old photographs show no pediment, but sash windows to first floor each side of porch, where oak-mullion windows are now, a window close-in to right of porch on ground floor, now gone.
The house was derelict during the C20, restored in part 1979-80 and resumed in the 1990s, when the blocked windows were reopened and new oak mullion windows inserted. The staircase had been damaged and has been restored in replica. When derelict it was seen that the roof had been designed for a coved plaster ceiling. There were no surviving ground floor partitions.
Large house, rubble stone with low pitched slate eaves roof and projecting end stacks with stone triple diagonal shafts. Three storeys, three bays, with two-storey front porch and large cross-gabled rear stair wing. S front has marks of alterations in stonework of upper floor, three cambered-headed 16-pane renewed sashes with stone voussoirs. First floor has two larger 24-pane sashes with timber lintels and stone voussoirs, the left one aligned slightly left of window above. Ground floor has two renewed oak 3-light mullioned windows with leaded lights and hoodmoulds. Centre two-storey gabled porch with stone-tiled roof, ornamental C19 pierced fretted bargeboards, first floor C16 reused 3-light stone-mullion window with roll-moulded mullions, four-centred arched lights, flat head and hoodmould. Broad stone doorway with plain chamfered jambs, and very flat Tudor-arched head, with sunk spandrels (apparently made from two reused C16 window heads). Stone flags within, square joists, and moulded inner doorway with very flat Tudor-arched head, and hollow-and-ovolo moulded jambs. At first floor each side of porch is a renewed 2-light oak mullion window with hood mould.
Left end wall has big raised chimneybreast, and similar windows each side: renewed oak 2-light attic window with hoodmould, first floor 24-pane sash and ground floor renewed 2-light oak mullion window.
Right end wall has big raised chimney breast, the left half on corbels from just above ground floor level, the right half slightly stepped forward and carried down to ground, with set-off on line of corbels of left half. Recessed oak two-light attic window to left of chimney. Big red brick stack of service range to right. Behind service range, straight joint to red brick end wall to rear outshut, showing that this is added.
Service range to right, set back, one storey and attic, with red brick end stacks. Three bays, centre gable with stone sill course under small casement pair, ground floor long triple casement with timber lintel each side of centre door, in bead-moulded oak frame, also with timber lintel. Loft window in right end wall. Rear wall has door and casement pair.
Rear left of main house has added outshut, with one 16-pane sash window each floor.
Large rear stair wing at right angles to main range, with external chimneybreast on N end with triple diagonal shafts. W side has broad bargeboarded gable over remarkable multi-storeyed arrangement of oak-mullion windows lighting the stair. Five levels: apex ovolo-moulded two-light; below are two similar two-lights with hoodmoulds, their sills at main eaves level; below again a fine central 4-light recessed chamfered mullion-and-transom window with mid-transom and hoodmould; below, at half-level to right an ovolo-moulded two-light; then central big ovolo-moulded 3-light with hoodmould; a small two-light with hoodmould set only slightly lower to right; and basement low broad doorway with hoodmould. N end has renewed oak 3-light mullion window to ground floor left, with hoodmould. Chimneybreast is corbelled out each side, towards top. Rear E has similar broad gable but all the windows are in cambered-headed surrounds of hard red brick, late C19 or earlier C20. Two 12-pane sashes to upper floor, two long 24-pane sashes to first floor and ground floor casement-pair to left, triple casement to right, set slightly lower. Head of blocked basement opening under left window.
Single ground floor room with chamfered beams and end fireplaces. W wall fireplace has chamfered stone jambs and lintel. Vaulted cellars. First floor room with C17 fireplace. Roof with canted feet to principals of roof trusses. Staircase in Jacobean style, dogleg in four flights, with renewed pierced oak flat balusters and massive moulded handrail. Moulded post at foot of stairs with raised ornament. Moulded oak doorway on left..
Ground floor: doorway with recessed moulded wooden frame, square head. Adjacent stone sill and head of a small blocked window. Adjacent large 3-light ovolo-moulded mullion window stained with raddle. At foot of stair doorway cut through wood 3-light hollow moulded mullion-and-transom window with diagonally-set bars, grooved transoms. Bottom newel of stair is carried up to ceiling as post with planted moulding. First floor half-timber partitions. Fireplace with recessed cyme-moulded jambs in C18 panelling. Doorway to room over porch is ovolo-moulded. Gable fireplace with chamfered jambs and diagonal stops. Top floor has heavy timber-framed partitions, one upper-cruck truss foot, evidence that front wall has been raised.
Included for its special historic interest as a substantial C17 gentry house, carefully restored from dereliction.
Other nearby listed buildings