This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1034 / 53°6'12"N
Longitude: -4.2779 / 4°16'40"W
OS Eastings: 247597
OS Northings: 358673
OS Grid: SH475586
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.8K9F
Mapcode Global: WH43M.8845
Plus Code: 9C5Q4P3C+9R
Entry Name: Church of St Gwyndaf
Listing Date: 29 May 1968
Last Amended: 28 May 1999
Source ID: 14925
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located immediately to the west of the line of the former Welsh Highland Railway in an originally oval-shaped churchyard now considerably extended to the north-west; high rubblestone wall on roadside
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Entirely rebuilt by George Alexander in 1847 on the site of the medieval church, a description of which was written by Sir Stephen Glynne before its demolition, and several fittings and monuments from which survive in the present building.
Parish church. Neo-Norman style, comprising nave, transepts, south porch, north vestry and short apsidal chancel. Regularly coursed and dressed rubblestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings; slate roofs with slate-coped verges to nave and Celtic crosses to transepts and east end of nave. South side of nave has 2 narrow round-headed windows to right of porch, which is gabled with round-headed outer arch and has slate slabs, including reused grave slabs, to floor; south door itself is boarded with nail studding and elaborate strap hinges. West wall of nave has 2-light round-headed window with plain central mullion and continuous hoodmould; gabled bellcote with 2 bells superscribed "1724 Wigan". Windows to north wall of nave as on south; windows to gable ends of transepts as west wall of nave, all windows, except that to north transept which has stained glass, with leaded latticed lights. Lean-to vestry to west wall of north transept in angle with nave has square-headed nail-studded plank door to west and narrow rectangular window to north. Semi-circular apsidal chancel with conical roof has 3 round-headed windows, all with stained glass.
Nave roof in 6 bays, arch-braced trusses on stone corbels with V-struts from collars to principal rafters, double-purlins and exposed rafters. Plain round-headed arch to chancel, which has blue-painted ribbed ceilure and gilded stars. Complete set of benches with ledges for prayer books and circular font on moulded circular plinth, probably 1847. Late C19 stained glass in chancel depicts from north to south, Faith, Hope and Charity, while stained glass in north transept commemorates Thomas Jones, died in India 1919. Wooden lectern in front of altar steps has brass candelabra. C20 altar rail flanked by square wooden pulpits with Norman blind arcading, northern (1928) in memory of Lt Col John Lloyd Thomas Jones.
From the old church the following survive: chest in north transept, C17 or C18, with strap-hinged curved lid made from 2 planks, 3 original large locks and 2 additional small ones; 2 small copper collection shovels with wooden handles in chancel, the backs inscribed "Rhodd Lhwyd Foxwist A.B./ O Rhyddallt/ i Eglwys Llanwnda/ Hydref 16, 1772"; mahogany chair (c1800) and early C18 communion table in vestry, oak with shaped brackets from heavy turned legs supporting framing, later top; loose slate slab also in vestry, inscribed "This gallery was rebuilt 1748" with the names of the benefactors, minister and churchwardens beneath. Oak bench at west end of nave has panelled back and shaped arms (one now missing) with plain splayed legs, the top rail inscribed "AMW H.R. Esqr BODADEN" and one of the panels "Pengwern".
Monuments: fixed to the west wall of the nave is the dismantled stone altar tomb of Owen Meredith with inscription dated 1612, several coats-of-arms and panels containing carved figures, one a single bearded man (presumably Meredith), others kneeling children, some holding infants (probably grandchildren). Good collection of C18 wall monuments: Thomas Bulkeley (sic), d.1707, draped cartouche flanked by putti with coat-of-arms to top; east wall of south transept and on the west wall 2 oval-shaped monuments, one to Catherina Quellyn (d.1746 at 7 months), the other to Anne and Hugh Quellyn (d.1730 and 1749), erected by their son, Philip (father of Catherina), d.1782. On the east wall of the north transept, Hon Mrs Lumley Bulkeley (d.1718) with eulogy and Lady Elinor Williams (d.17-9). This transept also contains various C20 wall tablets to members of the Lloyd-Jones, Armstrong-Jones and Roberts families. To the right of the chancel arch a plain wall tablet to Revd D L Williams, vicar of Llanwnda 1860-1914, and on north wall of nave a simple memorial to Capt Henry Thomas, who "lost his life in going on board his ship" the Brig Bellona in the River Menai, 1829.
Listed as a mid-C19 church in the neo-Norman style, well suited to small rural churches, typical of this part of Caernarvonshire.
Other nearby listed buildings