History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Detached former Smithy Range (near The White Heart)

A Grade II Listed Building in Gladestry, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1884 / 52°11'18"N

Longitude: -3.1261 / 3°7'33"W

OS Eastings: 323114

OS Northings: 255061

OS Grid: SO231550

Mapcode National: GBR F1.4770

Mapcode Global: VH69Y.R8Q6

Entry Name: Detached former Smithy Range (near The White Heart)

Listing Date: 31 January 1995

Last Amended: 31 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15336

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set into bank 20m SE of Parish Church, abuts churchyard.

County: Powys

Community: Gladestry (Llanfair Llythynwg)

Community: Gladestry

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Gladestry

History

C16, former Drover's Inn and, in C19, village shop. Major renovations in 1980's.

Exterior

Two storeys. Partial survival of original square panel timber frame with later brick nogging to south front, elsewhere rubble walls, weatherboarded east gable. Stone tile roofs. Projecting rubble stack to west gable, rubble eaves stack to north wall. Modern doors and windows including continuous row of first floor casements facing S. In south-west corner is small single storey rubble block, the former shop.

Adjacent to the house a detached rubble/slate block with brick dressings. Formerly the smithy/stable serving the Inn. The forge, bellows and cooling trough are all in situ.

Interior

Some C16 wall framing including chamfered door frames with masons mitres and original central truss. West room has range, bread oven and what is possibly a stew-warmer, a massive stone block with two fire holes for pans to sit over. On the upper floor a large room with external entrance and oven hob grate.

Reasons for Listing

A former historic inn with unusual fenestration and group value with the Parish Church and Corner House.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The White Heart
    Set into bank 20m SE of Parish Church, abuts churchyard.
  • II Corner House
    Lies 35m E of the Parish Church in village centre, set back from main through road.
  • I Parish Church of St Mary
    Situated in open churchyard above B4594, on NW side of village centre.
  • II Gladestry Court
    Prominent village location on S side of main through road, 150 yards E of parish church. Marked on 1839 Tithe Map as Great House, on site of Manor House.
  • II Old Tithe Barn (belonging to Gladestry Court)
    Prominently sited 50m to NE of the parish church.
  • II Former Meeting House to left of Gladestry Post Offcies
    Village centre, fronting through road 200 yards NE of Parish Church.
  • II* Stone House
    Elevated position 800m SE of Gladestry. The first Radnorshire property to be acquired by James Watt. He purchased it in 1798 from Thomas Harley of Berrington Hall.
  • II Foyce
    Lies about 800m NW of Gladestry and reached along by-roads running N from the junction at Gladestry Church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.