History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandrinio, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7493 / 52°44'57"N

Longitude: -3.0908 / 3°5'26"W

OS Eastings: 326471

OS Northings: 317409

OS Grid: SJ264174

Mapcode National: GBR 71.ZZP4

Mapcode Global: WH79B.H5F5

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 29 December 1994

Last Amended: 29 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15431

Building Class: Transport

Location: at roadside to 200m N of road junction with B4393 A483 (W side)

County: Powys

Community: Llandrinio

Community: Llandrinio

Locality: Penthryn Fawr

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llandysilio

Exterior

Milestone. Later C18. Tapered limestone pillar with gabled top, incised lettering crudely overpainted, reading "Miles PooL 7/Oswestry 8". One of a series of mile markers erected probably after the first Montgomeryshire Turnpike Act of 1756.

Reasons for Listing

This milestone, together with others along the A483 and B4392, are significant historical survivals form the century of road construction and maintenance in Mid Wales after c.1750.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Rhysnant Fach
    Lies between the A483 and the Montgomeryshire Canal, half-a-mile south of Four Crosses.
  • II Outbuilding Range to W of Rhysnant Fach
    Lies between the A483 and the Montgomeryshire Canal, half-a-mile south of Four Crosses.
  • II Maerdy Limekilns
    A bank of limekilns lying against the Montgomery Canal, with direct access to the main Welshpool to Oswestry Road.
  • II Bridge (No.101) over Montgomeryshire Canal
    Situated in meadowland and carrying the former access road to Rhysnant Hall (now demolished) from the main A483 road.
  • II Maerdy Farmhouse
    An imposing farmhouse of the Baker family.
  • II War Memorial
    Sited on the south west corner of the A483/B4393 crossroads in Four Crosses; in small enclosure formed of hedge and chain link fence.
  • II Rhysnant Farmhouse
    Approached via farm track off by-road leading from B4393 half-a-mile north west of Clafton Bridge.
  • II Greenfield House
    Central position S of The Clawdd.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.