This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7221 / 52°43'19"N
Longitude: -4.0539 / 4°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 261376
OS Northings: 315804
OS Grid: SH613158
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1DJF
Mapcode Global: WH56L.PVR1
Entry Name: The Cors-y-Gedol Hotel
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15461
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the street line.
Community: Barmouth (Bermo)
Built-Up Area: Barmouth
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Large inn/hotel of 2 adjacent blocks. Mid C18 core (to L), opened as an Inn in 1775, the first innkeeper being Mrs Lowry Lewis (d.1805). Richard Fenton, the early C19 writer and traveller stayedhere. Rebuilt and extended by the proprietor John Robert Daviesc.1869.
(L section): A 5-storey double-pile range under a shallow- pitched slate roof, hipped and with corbelled eaves. 3 projecting wooden bays with tripartite sash windows to upper floors; plain pilasters and entablature. The 2 bays to the R are of 2 storeys and have modern 30-pane windows at ground floor. The L bay is of 3 storeys and acts as a storeyed porch, the upper floors being carried on 2 octagonal wooden columns. Modern 4-part, part-glazed entrance. Above the 2 right-hand bays, the upper 3 storeys each have 3 plain Victorian 4-pane sashes with projecting cills and rusticated surrounds; similar window above L bay. Shallow hipped slate roofs toall bays and plain fascias between ground and first floors.
The R section is of 4 storeys and 3 bays and is flush with the previous section. Roof and upper windows as before. 2 projecting 2- storey bays to R as before, that to the R with octagonal columns to the ground floor. To the L an entrance with gallery above, supported on Doric columns. Turned balusters to gallery with plain rail and fascia beneath. The entrance has a wide moulded architrave and atripartite, multi-pane, glazed door. Tripartite sash window above with moulded pediment and entablature supported on 4 scrolled brackets. Tothe R of each of the 2 bays an entrance with modern part-glazed door; that to the R is larger and has a wooden doorcase and 4-pane fanabove.
Large fireplace in the ground-floor L section with flat- arched lintel. Reset foundation plaque above inscribed: `Foundation stone was laid by Anne wife of the proprietor John Robert Davies, Oct. 25 1869.'
Included as an historic hotel with relatively unaltered C19 facade.
Group value with other listed items in the High Street.
Other nearby listed buildings