History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Clock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barmouth (Bermo), Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7211 / 52°43'15"N

Longitude: -4.0364 / 4°2'10"W

OS Eastings: 262558

OS Northings: 315660

OS Grid: SH625156

Mapcode National: GBR 8T.1QTK

Mapcode Global: WH56L.ZV2T

Entry Name: The Clock House

Listing Date: 31 January 1995

Last Amended: 31 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15484

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Prominently sited on a natural projection into the estuary, immediately to the S of the main road, and some 300m to the E of Barmouth railway bridge.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Barmouth (Bermo)

Community: Barmouth

Locality: Barmouth Bridge

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Arthog

History

Eclectic Victorian Gothic house built by the Lowe family, mill-owners; the main, central section dates from c.1844, to which additions including a striking clock tower were added c.1890-1900 (information from Mr. D Davies).

Exterior

Rubble-built with green limestone dressings; renewed slate roofs with slightly oversailing eaves; 2 plain chimneys, the upper sections rendered. L-shaped primary (central) section with near- symmetrical entrance front. Advanced, steeply-gabled porch with moulded wooden bargeboards and a wooden glazed louvre with bracketed pyramidal copper roof; lead ball finial. The porch has a moulded ogee entrance arch with blind, cusped trefoil tracery above, carried at the sides on stylised carved head-corbels. In a moulded lozenge recess in the gable apex, the date 1844 in raised lettering. Contemporary part- glazed door with ogee fan, panelled below; plain arched lights to the porch return walls. Flanking the porch, recessed 30-pane sash windows, giving the impression of cross windows; chamfered reveals. Above, 2 gabled dormers with bargeboards as before. Triangular intersecting tracery and multi-pane original glazing. To the R, a further, recessed bay with moulded segmental arch carrying the jettied upper storey; 2-light mullioned window above a 16-pane sash. This connects with, to the R a 2-storey tower with angled corners and hipped roof; lead finials and decorative ironwork. Advanced flat, central buttress with two narrow 8-pane fixed windows and a blindslit-light above; moulded wooden gablet above this. The S face of the tower has a battered base and a 2-storey canted oriel window; moulded base and plain, modern windows.

Adjoining the tower, a tall clock tower of 2 sections, rubble below with dressed stone above. Recessed pointed-arched slit-windows to lower section with bracketing above. The upper section has depressed- arched recesses to each face, each containing twin slatted bell-ventswith an oculus above with clock face. Bracketed eaves and pyramidalcopper roof with lead finial. To the rear of the main block, a largebattered projecting plinth with surmounting wooden verandah; octagonalposts and wide Tudor-arched arcade with decorative iron balustrade. Tothe L of the main block, and connected to it by a recessed communication bay, a single-storey service block with hipped roof;angled corners, gablet and ironwork as before. Small octagonal chimney with simple moulding. This wing, together with the 2 towers was added later in the C19.

Reasons for Listing

An unusual and interesting Victorian lodge-scale house in a verystriking location and with group value with the Barmouth bridge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Glanafon
    Set back slightly on the bend of the road and raised up on a rubble- walled terrace with stepped access.
  • II Achorage View
    Set back slightly on the bend of the road and raised up on a rubble- walled terrace with stepped access.
  • II* Barmouth Railway Bridge (partly in Arthog Community)
    Long viaduct spanning the Mawddach estuary immediately to the S of Barmouth and crossing into Arthog Community.
  • II Graig Fach
    Set back slightly behind a metalled forecourt with an adjacent petrol station to the R.
  • II Graig Fach
    Set back slightly behind a metalled forecourt with an adjacent petrol station to the R.
  • II Anchor Cottage
    On the street-line, partly set back behind a modern brick dwarf-walled forecourt/garden.
  • II Pen-y--Gribin and Bwth-yn-y-Bryn with rear attached outbuilding and stone steps adjoining to
    Located towards the top of the old town on a raised terrace and behind small dwarf-walls; partly built against the rock of the hill.
  • II Quay Cottage
    Set back from the street line behind dwarf rubble forecourt walls with simple central gate. The cottage is partly overlapped to the L by a late C19 gabled shop building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.